News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cannot change gains on OBi200

Started by MathewFernandes, October 26, 2019, 03:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MathewFernandes

I recently picked up an OBi200. Works well for the most part but the person on the other end says that my voice is really quiet. I want to change the TX gain. When I go into the web interface, "default" is unchecked for TX and RX gain and TX gain is set to -5 while RX gain is sent to -4. If I either try to change them, or check default, and save and restart, it goes right back to how it is - gains of -5 and -4.

What do I need to do to change these parameters? Is something wrong with my unit?

drgeoff

Quote from: MathewFernandes on October 26, 2019, 03:04:53 AM
I recently picked up an OBi200. Works well for the most part but the person on the other end says that my voice is really quiet. I want to change the TX gain. When I go into the web interface, "default" is unchecked for TX and RX gain and TX gain is set to -5 while RX gain is sent to -4. If I either try to change them, or check default, and save and restart, it goes right back to how it is - gains of -5 and -4.

What do I need to do to change these parameters? Is something wrong with my unit?
1. You are probably falling foul of the #1 gotcha for noobies. http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=61.0

Use Expert mode on your dashboard at obitalk.com, not the local web interface of your OBi.  When you get to the relevant page and configuration line you need to clear both boxes at the right hand end of the line before you can make a change.

2.  The Tx and Rx may be the opposite of what you think.  Tx affects the level FROM the OBi to your handset earpiece.  Rx affects the level FROM your handset microphone to your OBi.  It is Rx that you need to change.

grazzie

I fell for the same thing as a newb as well with my OBI200 because I'm accustomed to setting ATA devices via the local web interface which seems to be the most intuitive and most direct way of setting your ATA. Thanks.

Also, thanks for the info on the Gain settings. I can hear my own voice's echo by a small amount at certain times when speaking to someone, so assumed the ChannelRxGain needs to be lowered from the preset -4 to -6 or -7. Thanks again.

grazzie

Quote from: grazzie on November 01, 2019, 09:12:53 PM
I fell for the same thing as a newb as well with my OBI200 because I'm accustomed to setting ATA devices via the local web interface which seems to be the most intuitive and most direct way of setting your ATA. Thanks.

Also, thanks for the info on the Gain settings. I can hear my own voice's echo by a small amount at certain times when speaking to someone, so assumed the ChannelRxGain needs to be lowered from the preset -4 to -6 or -7. Thanks again.

Even with a ChannelRxGain of -7, I hear my own echo a split second at a time only when we talk over each other. Should I lower the ChannelRxGain more?  Thanks.

drgeoff

Quote from: grazzie on November 02, 2019, 09:25:24 AM

Even with a ChannelRxGain of -7, I hear my own echo a split second at a time only when we talk over each other. Should I lower the ChannelRxGain more?  Thanks.
You can lower it provided the person at the other end can hear you at adequate level.  That you hear your own echo only for a split second suggests to me that there is an echo suppressor in circuit somewhere.  Is either phone instrument operating in loudspeaker mode?  Some long-haul circuits may also have them to suppress echos as echos are an inherent issue with 2-wire to 4 wire hybrids and some not so well acoustically engineered handsets.

grazzie

Quote from: drgeoff on November 02, 2019, 09:40:13 AM

You can lower it provided the person at the other end can hear you at adequate level.  That you hear your own echo only for a split second suggests to me that there is an echo suppressor in circuit somewhere.  Is either phone instrument operating in loudspeaker mode?  Some long-haul circuits may also have them to suppress echos as echos are an inherent issue with 2-wire to 4 wire hybrids and some not so well acoustically engineered handsets.

Thank you. Don't use phone's loudspeaker. Do you mean an OBI louldspeaker setting? I have two services on the OBI200 besides GV (SP1) (Callcentric SP2 and Voip.ms SP3) and hear my own voice's echo/robotic distortion at times on both services ONLY if the other person is talking when I talk - with the Rx set to -9. I used the PAP2 for years w/ same 2 services (Input gain was -6 and Output gain was -3) and I will rehook later up to see if I notice this.  I have an old Uniden TRU8888 handset which still works great. Thx again.

drgeoff

Quote from: grazzie on November 02, 2019, 11:07:30 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on November 02, 2019, 09:40:13 AM

You can lower it provided the person at the other end can hear you at adequate level.  That you hear your own echo only for a split second suggests to me that there is an echo suppressor in circuit somewhere.  Is either phone instrument operating in loudspeaker mode?  Some long-haul circuits may also have them to suppress echos as echos are an inherent issue with 2-wire to 4 wire hybrids and some not so well acoustically engineered handsets.

Thank you. Don't use phone's loudspeaker. Do you mean an OBI louldspeaker setting? I have two services on the OBI200 besides GV (SP1) (Callcentric SP2 and Voip.ms SP3) and hear my own voice's echo/robotic distortion at times on both services ONLY if the other person is talking when I talk - with the Rx set to -9. I used the PAP2 for years w/ same 2 services (Input gain was -6 and Output gain was -3) and I will rehook later up to see if I notice this.  I have an old Uniden TRU8888 handset which still works great. Thx again.
I mean the phone at the other end being in loudspeaker mode.  There is no "loudspeaker" setting on any OBi ATA.

grazzie

OK. Thx. No loudspeaker mode at the other end.

I'll do more testing calling a variety of phones and services. I've been bugging one person with all of the testing. ;D

grazzie

I did testing with the PAP2. No problem at all with two people talking at one time. With OBI200, I hear my echo/distortion when this occurs.

EDIT: HOWEVER  :) I lowered the RX Gain to -12 and it's much better.

RobertThompson

Try this:

How to verify the current duplex setting.
On the Obi phone, do this:
1. Dial *** 0
2. Enter option 27 and press #
At this point the OBiMAN will read back the current value: 0 or 1
It should be 1.
If not, follow the instructions below.

Change the duplex setting to full duplex.
1. Dial *** 0
3. Press 1 to set a new value
4. Enter a value of 1 and press #
5. Press 1 to confirm/save
6. Hang up
7. Wait for the OBi to reboot
Rob.

www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

drgeoff

Quote from: RobertThompson on December 28, 2019, 07:41:20 AM
Try this:

1. Dial *** 0
It should be 1.

1. Dial *** 0
6. Hang up
That is likely to be a complete waste of time.  The "duplex" is the mode of the ethernet interface, not audio.

SteveInWA

Quote from: RobertThompson on December 28, 2019, 07:41:20 AM
Try this:

1. Dial *** 0
It should be 1.

1. Dial *** 0
6. Hang up

SPAM.