News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

WIFI SETUP (HELP!)

Started by Jt643, November 06, 2019, 08:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jt643

Hello!

I am new to the forum...

We just moved offices, and I had hoped I would just be able to plug in and start right up. Unfortunately, that has not worked.

Here is what is different from my previous office setup:

1. I changed the SSID for our WiFi
2. Our network now is managed between 2.4/5 GHz by the router (previously, I had the ObiWiFi connected to a 2.4 SSID)

Hardware:

1. We have ObiWiFi dongles that are 2.4/5 GHz compatible
2. We have the SimpleWAN firewall box set up, and it is working correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Jt643

Quick Update:

I changed the DHCP range from 10.0.X.X to 192.168.X.X and it connected (briefly), but I have not been able to get any service.

In reading through other WiFi connect threads, it appears the WiFi function is very finicky. Any ideas?

Thank you!

ProfTech

The easiest way I found to program the WiFi is to remove the Obi from any ethernet connection. Once you know what the Obi ethernet IP is set to, set a similar IP into your laptop [one digit different] and connect your laptop directly to the Obi using a crossover cable. Then use the web interface to program the WiFi any way you like. When done, unplug the Obi ethernet cable from your computer and reboot the Obi. If your WiFi is up and transmitting the Obi should come right up. Using a crossover cable eliminates all the fuss. YMMV

Jt643

Thanks for the info. I will give that a shot and post the results.

ProfTech

One warning. I think the Obi usually has to be in the DHCP mode in order to use WiFi. If it is in the DHCP mode you won't be able to use a crossover cable. You will need to temporarily connect the Obi to a router using a standard cable. Then connect your laptop to a second port on the router. Then use your laptop to access the Obi web interface. Program the WiFi the way you want and unplug everything. Reboot the Obi and it should work.