News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200, GV, Fax

Started by criminalmind, December 21, 2019, 02:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

criminalmind

Hi!

Just got Obi200 a few days ago. Setup was flawless for phone along with Google Voice. However, part of the reason I got this was what I believed was the ability to send an occasional fax. Spent the entire past 2 days trying to get a fax to work and am getting nowhere, was hoping for some direction or troubleshooting tips.

This is the experience thus far... I'm on Win 10 Pro, the Obi200 is connected via ethernet cable directly to my router. Set up Fax and Scan, no all-in-one printer with faxing involved, just my computer and the OBI200 set up. Proceeded to attempt to send a test fax, all I get is "fatal error". I found something on line about turning off Windows Fax and Scan in Windows Features and re-booting, then turning it back on again and re-booting, did no good, still just "fatal error". Went up the chain and turned off Print and Document Services in Windows Features, did the same re-boot, still the same problem. Have tried this routine several times at this point, always 'fatal error'.

Also found some info on t38fax.com (http://support.t38fax.com/support/solutions/articles/19000012047-obihai-obi200) that showed settings to be changed on the 200, tried that, no luck. Oddly enough, when trying some of those settings, even though 'submitting' and then rebooting the device as they direct, some of the settings just immediately revert back to their defaults. For example, they said to change ITSP/SIP/Proxy Server to "sip.t38fax.com". Tried that, and after submitting and rebooting the 200 it just went back to the original Obihai setting.

Most of the settings that you access by entering the OBI200 IP in your browser are another language to me, no idea what to do with most of them or what they're even for. Can't seem to figure out how to get Win 10 to recognize the Obi device and then send a fax so I'm not even really at first base on this. Was wondering if connecting it to my computer via the USB port on the 200 would help the computer find/recognize the 200, but see no mention of it being used for that.

So, sorry to go on but I hate to have to return the 200 to Amazon, and was hoping some kind soul here might have an idea or two that could help me get this working. Again, not super technical so explanations rendered for 'idiot' level of knowledge will be kindly accepted and appreciated.

Happy holidays!

drgeoff

1.  If you have configured your OBi to use GV then you should not be changing any settings via the web interface on the OBi.  (Ie via a browser to its IP address.) Every change you make will be reverted very quickly.

2.  How are you sending the fax data from the PC to the OBi?  The OBi is expecting it come in via a fax modem plugged in to its phone port.

Taoman

Disclaimer: I have never used Windows Fax and Scan.

But a quick search seems to indicate it expects you would have a fax modem installed in your computer. It specifically says it doesn't support sending faxes via the Internet nor does it support T.38.

The only way you can configure your OBi for t38fax.com is if you have an account with them and SIP credentials so you can configure your OBi. Do you have an account with them? And if you were to use t38fax.com you would need to use a fax machine plugged into the phone port on the OBi device. There is no way I'm aware of to send/receive a fax from a Windows machine via an OBi ATA (unless with a fax modem installed)