News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Distictive ring patters for each incoming line ?

Started by davefred99, October 03, 2011, 03:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefred99

I just setup my new Obi 110 for the first time. I had no problems at all getting the device setup for GV,Sip2 & Pots phone line in. Everything seems to work in its default mode and I setup GV for my outgoing calls.
So now I want to go a step further and would like to setup distinctive ring patterns for incoming calls to my GV & sip2 lines. I went into the online Obi talk web panel and looked around in the expert configuration area and see settings to change the ring patterns but when I try to change them nothing happens even when I check the device or obitalk boxes. What am I missing, I only have one selection available in the drop down box (1).
I prefer to do this in the web portal or config screen because I am not yet familiar or comfortable using the built in web page interface.

thanks in advance

RonR

There are 10 ring patterns available in the OBi:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_DefaultRing : (1-10)

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_DefaultRing : (1-10)

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> DefaultRing : (1-10)

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DefaultRing : (1-10)

Don't be afraid to make changes in the OBi itself.  It's actually simpler and quicker than doing it from the OBiTALK Web Portal.  Should you decide to make changes to the OBi directly, you will need to disable Auto Provisioning:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning : Method : Disabled

davefred99

Ok, I got brave and went into the Obi web interface instead of Obi talk. First thing I noticed is that the config setting was already disabled so I just looked around and found the individual ring settings for each sip account and the line feed. Really not much to it just clicked and changed them and then save. I did notice a notice that I needed to reboot so I did and it all works.

Thanks.

PS you are right the internal web interface seems easier than the Obi talk web interface.

guyinsb

Is there in fact a way to change X_DefaultRing in the SP1 Service from its default value of 1,
using OBiTalk, rather than the web interface directly to the OBi?

guyinsb

OK, I had the same problem with both the direct web interface, and the OBiTalk web portal.
After I used either to uncheck the OBiTalk Settings box associated with X_DefaultRing (SP1),
I could not get the dropdown widget to let me configure a value other than the '1' originally there.
But I went ahead and did a Submit; after the device rebooted, I was able to change the '1' value
to something else.  The other values did in fact result in a ring pattern which was discernibly different.

davidaj

Quote from: guyinsb on May 23, 2012, 06:45:10 PMafter the device rebooted, I was able to change the '1' value to something else.  The other values did in fact result in a ring pattern which was discernibly different.

We just set up a Obihai 202 with 3 Google voice numbers on a single standard (non-VOIP) physical cordless phone on phone port 1.  We also want to be able to have the phone ring distinctively depending on whether someone is calling on Google voice line 1, 2 or 3.  We successfully changed the ring tone to something other than "1" and hit submit and thought that we were home free.  Unfortunately, when we called in, the physical phone would not ring at all.  Only when we changed it back to "1" would it ring. 

What are we doing wrong?  Also, since the phone has different ring tones of its own, how does the Obihai device make it ring differently?  I'm not sure how the Obihai could possibly control the phones ring pattern.

guyinsb

I would like to see an OBI Expert provide a definitive explanation of how to configure different (e.g. distinctive) ringtones for incoming calls on SP1, SP2, SP3 and SP4.  Importantly, this should be possible purely through configuration of the OBi, and not on information provided by the Service Provider.

It is simple enough to change Ring Pattern 1 (for example, 60;(.2+.2,.2+4,.2+.2) ) in Ring Profiles A and B.
But even though the OBi202 allows up to four Service Providers, there are still only two Ring Profiles.

Stewart

For example, use Ring Profile A for all SPx.

Then, set X_DefaultRing to 1 for SP1, 2 for SP2, etc.

Using the default settings for Ring Profile A, that would give these cadences:

SP1: 60;(2+4)
SP2: 60;(.3+.2,1+.2,.3+4)
SP2: 60;(.8+.4,.8+4)
SP4: 60;(.4+.2,.3+.2,.8+4)

Of course, you could change those settings to anything you like.

guyinsb

Thanks, I confirmed that indeed produces distinct rings.

mike-v

I am having this same problem - cannot change any values.  Everything is grayed out.  Can you share with me how to fix this?

drgeoff

Quote from: mike-v on December 22, 2015, 03:40:53 PM
I am having this same problem - cannot change any values.  Everything is grayed out.  Can you share with me how to fix this?
Post a screen grab of where "everything is grayed out".  Redact any sensitive fields.

DigitalMan

I tried to edit something in the Obi expert interface on Obitalk for the first time and it wouldn't let me edit any fields either. Is there perhaps a configuration option we need to enable to allow changes on the expert interface?

azrobert

Do this first:
From the OBiTalk dashboard click Edit Profile on the left column.
At the bottom of the page check "Enable OBi Expert..."
Click Submit Query.
Now you can go directly to OBi Expert from the dashboard.
If you don't enable the OBi Expert button, you need 4 clicks to get to OBi Expert like this:
Click on the gear ICON, select OBi Expert, confirm and select OBi Expert again.   

Click OBi Dashboard.
On the right of your OBixxx is an icon with a red E.
Click on it to enter OBi Expert.

To fix your problem just uncheck the 2 boxes to the right of each parameter

DigitalMan

Thanks azrobert. I followed your instructions and can now edit the expert config. My problem was that I wasn't un-checking both boxes before trying to edit the value.

CarolynG

Thanks for all the advice listed above.

I have tried to change the distinctive ring for both SP1 and SP2 using both the OBitalk portal and the web interface. The changes are accepted (the setting remains as I changed it), but the phone ring pattern is no different. I have submitted, rebooted, both from the web page and the portal.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

azrobert

After you add your device to OBiTalk you MUST use OBiTalk to configure it. If you want to switch to the web interface, you must disable OBiTalk Auto Provisioning. See:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=61.msg109#msg109

You just need to change the SP trunk default ring
Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_DefaultRing

1 = Single Ring
2 = Triple Ring
3 = Double Ring

glnz6

azrobert - thanks for your info above.  But what I'm seeing on my recent Obi202 setup is slightly different, and I have not yet changed anything in Expert Configuration.  I am configured with ObiTalk and different Google Voice numbers in SP1 and SP2.

Currently:

SP1 (which has the first Google Voice number) has X_InboundCallRoute {ph 1} and rings like any typical US telephone
Its X_RingProfile is "A", and
its X_DefaultRing is "1".

SP2 (which has the second Google Voice number) has X_InboundCallRoute {ph 2} and rings differently - two shorter faster rings.  (A more European ring.)
Its X_RingProfile is "B", but
its X_DefaultRing is also "1".

Under "Ring Settings", I see this:

In "Ring Profile A", in "Ring Pattern 1", RingName is "Bellcore-dr1" and "RingPattern" is "60;(2+4)".
In "Ring Profile B", in "Ring Pattern 1", RingName is again "Bellcore-dr1" but "RingPattern" is "60;(.4+.2,.4+2)".

So, am I right to conclude that the two shorter faster rings come from RingProfileB's different "RingPattern" which is "60;(.4+.2,.4+2)"?

For my knowledge, if I wanted the SP2 phone to ring the same way as the SP1 phone, what is the best way to do that in ObiTalk?

Thanks.

drgeoff

The patterns in profiles A and B are independent.  I think the default B ones are Australian and it is sloppiness/laziness by Obihai that the B set have the same US names as the A set.

There are several ways to achieve what you want.

All 20 patterns are editable by you.  If you wish you can change any of the patterns in the B set to be the same as any in the A set.  Or if you want two SPs to ring the same, make the Voice Service, SPn Service, X_RingProfile to be the same A or B and the X_DefaultRing to be the same 1-10.

LTN1

Quote from: glnz6 on March 25, 2018, 11:56:23 AM

azrobert - thanks for your info above.  But what I'm seeing on my recent Obi202 setup is slightly different, and I have not yet changed anything in Expert Configuration.  I am configured with ObiTalk and different Google Voice numbers in SP1 and SP2.

Currently:

SP1 (which has the first Google Voice number) has X_InboundCallRoute {ph 1} and rings like any typical US telephone
Its X_RingProfile is "A", and
its X_DefaultRing is "1".

SP2 (which has the second Google Voice number) has X_InboundCallRoute {ph 2} and rings differently - two shorter faster rings.  (A more European ring.)
Its X_RingProfile is "B", but
its X_DefaultRing is also "1".

If you want SP2 to ring just like SP1, go to the OBi Expert/Voice Services/SP2 Service and use the attached JPG file as an example (remember to uncheck the OBiTALK check mark on the right and check the device default next to that after you have changed the values to A).

Forget all of the crossed out configurations:

Under "Ring Settings", I see this:

In "Ring Profile A", in "Ring Pattern 1", RingName is "Bellcore-dr1" and "RingPattern" is "60;(2+4)".
In "Ring Profile B", in "Ring Pattern 1", RingName is again "Bellcore-dr1" but "RingPattern" is "60;(.4+.2,.4+2)".

So, am I right to conclude that the two shorter faster rings come from RingProfileB's different "RingPattern" which is "60;(.4+.2,.4+2)"?

For my knowledge, if I wanted the SP2 phone to ring the same way as the SP1 phone, what is the best way to do that in ObiTalk?

If you want to truly have distinctive ring patterns for each SPs, then continue to ask...but I just wanted to keep the answer simple if you only wanted to have SP2 to ring like SP1.

Thanks.

glnz6