News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I use this product with Google Home?

Started by maurices, December 01, 2019, 06:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maurices

Hello guys,

I want to know if i can use this device hands free with Google Home? I want to be able to say: "OK Google call Peter."  Or if Peter calls me, I want to be able to receive the call without picking up the phone.  Is this possible?

Thanks!

Taoman

Quote from: maurices on December 01, 2019, 06:23:20 AM
Hello guys,

I want to know if i can use this device hands free with Google Home? I want to be able to say: "OK Google call Peter."  Or if Peter calls me, I want to be able to receive the call without picking up the phone.  Is this possible?

Thanks!

No. You can make outgoing calls thru your Google Home device using your Google Voice number.* But you cannot receive incoming calls to your Google Voice number thru your Google Home device.

But a Polycom OBi device isn't involved in any of this.

https://mashtips.com/set-google-home-with-google-voice-number/

*When I tried this I could hear the party I called just fine but they couldn't hear me very well. I had to be talking very close to the Google Home device. Was nowhere near the voice quality experienced using an OBi device.

drgeoff

Hello guys,

Thanks!
Amazon Echo Connect connects to the phone jack of an OBi or to a telco line.  Then you can make or answer calls on any of your Amazon Echo devices.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on December 01, 2019, 11:27:49 AM
Hello guys,

Thanks!
Amazon Echo Connect connects to the phone jack of an OBi or to a telco line.  Then you can make or answer calls on any of your Amazon Echo devices.

The Echo Connect is unnecessary, if the goal is to simply call some US telephone number. After setting it up on the Alexa app, just say "Call Steve" (an entry in your contacts list) or "Call 1-213-867-5309".  The device will make a VoIP call on its own.

lyonivey

Hello guys,

Thanks!
I think The Echo Connect is unnecessary.

drgeoff

Quote from: lyonivey on December 16, 2019, 11:41:49 PM
Hello guys,

Thanks!
I think The Echo Connect is unnecessary.
The Echo Connect is unnecessary to make calls. However the OP also wrote "I want to be able to receive the call without picking up the phone." That does require an Echo Connect.