News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calls going directly to voicemail

Started by melweinew, December 11, 2019, 07:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

melweinew

Just this morning after I missed a number of calls (that should have been ringing my Cricket number on my phone) I discovered that all calls to my Google Voice number are going immediately to VoiceMail. I called from another number to my Google Voice number and my cell didn't ring, if I was logged into the web interface it would ring for  about half a ring and the call would immediately go to voicemail. I checked to make sure in the Google Voice settings that I hadn't accidentally turned on "do not disturb" and I hadn't. Just to be safe I toggled it on and then off. Still all calls are getting dumped into voicemail on the first ring. Anyone else seeing this currently, anyone else have it happen in the past? One more thing, I tried clearing cache on the Google Voice app (Android) and resetting up the Google Voice app. Had no effect

SteveInWA

Howdy.  Well, you checked the obvious (DND isn't enabled). 

When the calls go to voicemail, which voicemail is it; your Google Voice voicemail greeting, or a greeting from one of your linked phone numbers?

drgeoff

The opening post is probably spam given its similarity to the opening post at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=16378.0. And that one is probably spam too based on the URL that was added later in an edit.

SteveInWA

Just because someone posts a similarly-worded question does not make it "probably spam".  It has no spammy or phishing links, does not try to deceive the reader, nor sell anything.

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on December 11, 2019, 03:42:47 PM
The opening post is probably spam given its similarity to the opening post at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=16378.0. And that one is probably spam too based on the URL that was added later in an edit.

Agreed. The wording is verbatim for most of the post. Unlikely coincidence for being the OP's first post.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 11, 2019, 04:08:14 PM
Just because someone posts a similarly-worded question does not make it "probably spam".  It has no spammy or phishing links, does not try to deceive the reader, nor sell anything.
Those two posts are more than merely similar. What is the difference between

"Just this morning after I missed a number of calls (that should have been ringing my Cricket number on my phone) I discovered that all calls to my Google Voice number are going immediately to VoiceMail. I called from another number to my Google Voice number and my cell didn't ring, if I was logged into the web interface it would ring for  about half a ring and the call would immediately go to voicemail. I checked to make sure in the Google Voice settings that I hadn't accidentally turned on "do not disturb" and I hadn't. Just to be safe I toggled it on and then off. Still all calls are getting dumped into voicemail on the first ring. Anyone else seeing this currently, anyone else have it happen in the past? One more thing, I tried clearing cache on the Google Voice app (Android) and resetting up the Google Voice app. Had no effect."

and

"Just this morning after I missed a number of calls (that should have been ringing my Cricket number on my phone) I discovered that all calls to my Google Voice number are going immediately to VoiceMail. I called from another number to my Google Voice number and my cell didn't ring, if I was logged into the web interface it would ring for  about half a ring and the call would immediately go to voicemail. I checked to make sure in the Google Voice settings that I hadn't accidentally turned on "do not disturb" and I hadn't. Just to be safe I toggled it on and then off. Still all calls are getting dumped into voicemail on the first ring. Anyone else seeing this currently, anyone else have it happen in the past? One more thing, I tried clearing cache on the Google Voice app (Android) and resetting up the Google Voice app. Had no effect."

I have noticed that some of these posts seem innocent at first but are edited later to add "unusual things".  Have a look at what is now at the end of http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=16378.0.

SteveInWA

In that case, it explains the mystery of why these seemingly harmless posts appear:  I believe the forum software prevents brand new users from posting links (a crude spam prevention measure).  So, the perpetrator posts one or more random blocks of text, then goes back later, once they have the ability, and adds the spammy link.

What a pain in the ass.  Unless one has total recall of every discussion, this means we have to check to see if the same post from a different user exists already.