News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Business Setup using GV - Current Setup vs New Setup

Started by AlanM, December 17, 2019, 12:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

I'm looking to make some upgrades to my current system. Here is what I have set up at my office:
I have two Obi202 adapters, each with two Google Voice numbers as SP1 and SP2. I purchased a 4-line telephone and plugged the four lines into the two Obi202 adapters, so I have four free phone lines in my office for use. Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to SP1 for both phones, so no matter what line someone calls from, SP1's phone number will show up on the caller ID (our primary office number).

Now I'm trying to get more sophisticated. I want to purchase Obi1000 series phones and have extensions so we can easily transfer calls, maybe set up an auto-attendant, and also have individual voicemails for each person. Is there any documentation or post that you could direct me to with some detailed instructions on doing this with Google Voice? I have access to several Google Voice numbers if needed.

I am also open to hiring someone locally to help me set this up. I am in Los Angeles, CA if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance.
-A

SteveInWA

Why did you create all those duplicate posts?  It's bad forum etiquette, unless you're a spammer.

Your entire proposed/actual solution is a very bad idea.  The mostly-free, consumer version of Google Voice is intended only for consumer use, not for business.  It has no direct support from Google, no guaranteed service levels, no 911 calling, and yes, things do break.  You'd be betting your entire business on it.  Aside from that, it's a violation of Google's terms of use to obtain multiple phone numbers for your business.

Google now has a true, business-class version of Google Voice for G Suite customers.  You can have as many "seats" with phone numbers as you need, it's supported by Google, has 911 support, and it includes, or will include, most of the features you listed.  It works with the Poly VVX x50 series IP phones.  It does not work with any of the legacy OBiTALK products.  By the way, the 1000 series phones are outdated and will be discontinued when supplies run out.

AlanM

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 17, 2019, 12:39:20 PM
Why did you create all those duplicate posts?  It's bad forum etiquette, unless you're a spammer.

Your entire proposed/actual solution is a very bad idea.  The mostly-free, consumer version of Google Voice is intended only for consumer use, not for business.  It has no direct support from Google, no guaranteed service levels, no 911 calling, and yes, things do break.  You'd be betting your entire business on it.  Aside from that, it's a violation of Google's terms of use to obtain multiple phone numbers for your business.

Google now has a true, business-class version of Google Voice for G Suite customers.  You can have as many "seats" with phone numbers as you need, it's supported by Google, has 911 support, and it includes, or will include, most of the features you listed.  It works with the Poly VVX x50 series IP phones.  It does not work with any of the legacy OBiTALK products.  By the way, the 1000 series phones are outdated and will be discontinued when supplies run out.

Sorry, every time I clicked post it gave me the following error so I didn't know it actually posted:
Ran into problems sending Mail. Error: 535 5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials ce22sm4289953pjb.17 - gsmtp

Can an admin please delete the other posts and let's just keep this one alive?

AlanM

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 17, 2019, 12:39:20 PM

I appreciate your input and advice. I have been using this setup for over 5 years (started with the Obi100 series adapters) and it's been working perfectly for me. Never ran into any issues, plus my business is not telephone-heavy. We don't receive or make many calls. We really only need phones for those once-in-a-while situations. This is why we don't want to pay a min of $20 per user (that's on the lower end with G Suite, other service providers average $40 per user).

With your points being noted and appreciated, I still would like to know how to accomplish my suggested scenario because I believe that it is possible.

Thanks.
-A

SteveInWA

You're violating Google's Acceptable Use Policy, so no.  Be smart.  Pay for your phone service and get what you pay for.

https://www.google.com/intl/en_US/googlevoice/program-policies.html

AlanM

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 17, 2019, 01:47:55 PM
You're violating Google's Acceptable Use Policy, so no.  Be smart.  Pay for your phone service and get what you pay for.

https://www.google.com/intl/en_US/googlevoice/program-policies.html

I respectfully disagree with your understanding of Google's policy. It states:
QuoteSpam and Commercial Use
Do not send or facilitate the transmission of spam, large numbers of commercial messages, or automated messages.

As I mentioned, we barely use the phone in the business, so it definitely would not qualify as "large numbers". Google does allow GV to be used for business purposes as long as it is not excessive.

azrobert

There was a bug transferring calls between OBi IP Phones. I don't think this issue was resolved, but I'm not sure. I can transfer calls between an OBi200 and an OBi1032.

See:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=15776.0

AlanM

Quote from: azrobert on December 17, 2019, 03:23:46 PM
There was a bug transferring calls between OBi IP Phones. I don't think this issue was resolved, but I'm not sure. I can transfer calls between and OBi200 and an OBi1032.

See:

Thanks for sharing this. I read through that entire thread and I wonder if the issue is because of GV or the Obi devices. Do you know if the new Polycom VVW phones work with GV just like the old Obi1000 series?

drgeoff

Quote from: AlanM on December 17, 2019, 03:53:18 PM
Quote from: azrobert on December 17, 2019, 03:23:46 PM
There was a bug transferring calls between OBi IP Phones. I don't think this issue was resolved, but I'm not sure. I can transfer calls between and OBi200 and an OBi1032.

See:

Thanks for sharing this. I read through that entire thread and I wonder if the issue is because of GV or the Obi devices. Do you know if the new Polycom VVW phones work with GV just like the old Obi1000 series?
The VVW phones work with GSuite only.

The OBi1000/2000 series phones work with consumer GV only.

AlanM

Quote from: drgeoff on December 19, 2019, 02:02:27 AM
The VVW phones work with GSuite only.

The OBi1000/2000 series phones work with consumer GV only.

Thanks for this! Which series do you recommend -- 1000 or 2000?