News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Solution to Obi202 ringing both ports when either is called

Started by twalp, December 18, 2019, 05:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twalp

My Obi202 has two phones connected, and at my voip service provider I have two DIDs (one on a sub-account). Only the phone being called should ring, but when either number was called both phones rang.  After my voip service provider vetted my settings in their control panel as correct, I found the solution in the Obi202 Settings Wizard:

In Voice Services > SP1 Service, change X_InboundCallRoute from "ph,ph2" to "ph". Then in SP2 Service change  X_InboundCallRoute from "ph,ph2" to "ph2".

I had failed to notice that there's a comma instead of a period in the default setting for X_InboundCallRoute (ph,ph2). The comma means "ring ph and ph2".

I hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

epleini

I have also faced similar issue.

Thanks
Liteblue

drgeoff

Quote from: epleini on December 20, 2019, 04:58:04 AM
I have also faced similar issue.
Which ports ring is selectable during the configuration for a service provider.  eg

ajpoe

I am having this issue and I can't seem to fix it. I have two GV lines for a small business. I want my GV line to ring my phone only, SP2 set to ring Phone 2. I want my assistant's line and my line to ring on her line, SP1 set to ring SP1, SP2.

I have it set up this way in the Phone Port Configuration summary but both phones still ring when someone calls her line. How do I fix this?

drgeoff

Quote from: ajpoe on January 06, 2020, 07:41:07 AM
I am having this issue and I can't seem to fix it. I have two GV lines for a small business. I want my GV line to ring my phone only, SP2 set to ring Phone 2. I want my assistant's line and my line to ring on her line, SP1 set to ring SP1, SP2.

I have it set up this way in the Phone Port Configuration summary but both phones still ring when someone calls her line. How do I fix this?
1. "SP1 set to ring SP1, SP2. " is nonsense.  You probably mean that SP1 is set to ring PH1 and PH2.

2.  "both phones still ring when someone calls her line."  You may be unaware that the PHONE1 jack on an OBi202 is wired to support a 2-line phone.  Both the PH1 and PH2 circuits are wired to that jack.  If you have a 2-line phone connected to that jack with a 4-conductor cord then yes your phone will ring when her line is called.  The simple fix for that is to replace the 4-conductor cord with a 2-conductor one.  (Or maybe the phone has a setup option to disable the second line.)

ajpoe

Yep, that was a typo. Here are my settings:
                                                             Phone 1              Phone 2
Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to:       SP1                SP2
Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:             SP1,SP2         SP2
Voicemail Notification Alert from:       
Emergency Service Call Routes to:      Not Configured    Not Configured

The Obi202 came with both a 1 line wire and a 2 line wire. I noticed my phone system's base unit supports 2 line wires on line 1 only so I used the 1 line cord from Obi Phone 1 port to my phone's line 1 port to avoid this issue. I used the 2 line cord from the Obi Phone 2 port to Line 2 on my phone's base unit but that should only utilize 1 line... So, I'm still baffled as to why SP1 would ring on both Phone 1 and Phone 2 given my setup.

drgeoff

Quote from: ajpoe on January 06, 2020, 08:48:21 AM
Yep, that was a typo. Here are my settings:
                                                             Phone 1              Phone 2
Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to:       SP1                SP2
Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:             SP1,SP2         SP2
It is staring you in the face!

That table says: Phone1 rings on incoming calls from SP1, SP2.

ajpoe

No. I said I want my line and my assistant's line to both ring on Phone 1. That one is fine. I do not want her line ringing on mine, Phone 2. I have it set for only SP2 to ring Phone 2 but SP1 is also ringing on Phone 2.

drgeoff

Quote from: ajpoe on January 06, 2020, 09:36:28 AM
No. I said I want my line and my assistant's line to both ring on Phone 1. That one is fine. I do not want her line ringing on mine, Phone 2. I have it set for only SP2 to ring Phone 2 but SP1 is also ringing on Phone 2.
You need to be clear in your own mind about the terms SP, line and Phone.
Your GV number is configured on SP1
Your assistant's GV number is configured on SP2.
You desire calls to your GV number to ring the telephone plugged into the PHONE1 jack and the telephone plugged in to the PHONE2 jack.
You desire calls to your assistant's GV number to ring the telephone plugged in to PHONE2 jack on the OBi.

In which case you require:
                                                                 PHONE1   PHONE2
Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:             SP1         SP1,SP2

ajpoe

I think I have the same thing set up but just the opposite.

I have my assistant's GV set up as SP1 and my GV set up as SP2. I have her phone, Phone 1, set up to receive calls for SP1 and SP2. I have my phone, Phone 2, set up to receive calls on SP2 only.

When someone calls her GV number, SP1, it rings on my Phone 2 even though only SP2 calls are supposed to ring on my phone.

drgeoff

OK let's do some diagnostic troubleshooting.

Unplug both cords from the OBi's 2 phone jacks.

From another phone, such as a cellphone, call your GV number while observing the LEDs on the OBi.  The right hand LED (Phone 2) and the adjacent one (Phone 1) should both change from steady green to blinking. Terminate the call and they should both return to steady.

Again from the other phone, call your assistant's GV number.  The right hand LED should remain steady and the adjacent one start blinking.  Terminate the call.

If the results are as they should be then the OBi is configured correctly and something is amiss with the phones or how they are connected to the OBi.  Are they directly wired to the OBi using only the supplied cords or are they connected via premises wiring?

If the LEDs are not behaving as above then proceed as follows:

1. Replug the phones.

2.  From either phone dial ***0. At the prompt dial 30 followed by #.  Follow the prompts to change to the new value 1.  (This is to enable access to the OBi202's onboard web server.)

3.  From either phone dial ***1 and note down the IP address which will be read out to you.

4.  Enter that IP address into a browser on a computer on the same LAN as the OBi202.  Log in with username admin and password admin.  (Unless you have previously changed the password.)

5.  Click on "Voice Services".  Click on "SP1 service". Look for the line X_InboundCallRoute.  The value should be ph or PH or ph1 or PH1. (All four versions are equivalent.)

6.  Click on "SP2 Service".  Its X_InboundCallRoute should be ph,ph2 or ph1,ph2 or the capitalised versions.  Possibly within braces ( and ).

ajpoe

Everything functions as you described on the Obi so it must be the phone system. I have a Panasonic base unit with two wireless handsets. The Obi is hardwired to my Spectrum modem/router and the phone lines run directly to the base unit. I keep all of that tucked away and we keep the handsets on our desk. So, it must be the base unit ringing both handsets regardless of which line is called. I am searching through the Panasonic manual with no luck but I'll keep researching.

SteveInWA

There are two issues here:

You don't understand the physical telephone wiring.  On a Panasonic two-line phone, AND on the OBi 202, the phone 1 jack is a RJ-14, 2-line, 4-wire connection.  You only need ONE 4-conductor phone cord.  Plug it into the phone 1 jack on both devices.  You do NOT need to connect anything to the phone 2 jacks on either device.  The phone 2 jacks are ONLY used when a) connecting the 202 to two physically separate one-line telephones, or b) when connecting the phone to two physically separate one-line (RJ-11) telephone jacks.

But, the real issue is: you are confused about the concept of a two-line cordless phone system.  EACH handset will ring on calls from BOTH lines.  There is no setting to do what you want.  This is a limitation of the telephone, not the OBi.