News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calls dropping after changing ISP

Started by Moishebatchy, December 22, 2019, 10:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moishebatchy

Hi all,

I recently switched ISPs, from the local telephone company's DSL service (40 Mbps) to a local TV company's cable service (500 Mbps).

My OBi, which had previously been working nearly flawlessly, has suddenly started dropping calls after a few minutes. My wife can be in middle of a conversation with someone, and suddenly, the other side of the conversation goes dead silent. She then has to hang up and redial, and the call will connect again, no problem - so it's not like the internet went down completely or anything.

The only change I can think of is that with my DSL, I had a static IP address, while now with cable, I have a dynamic IP address. Could that be the root of the problem? I'd really hate to pay additional monthly fees for a static IP just for this...

Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance!

drgeoff

Quote from: Moishebatchy on December 22, 2019, 10:03:12 AM
Hi all,

I recently switched ISPs, from the local telephone company's DSL service (40 Mbps) to a local TV company's cable service (500 Mbps).

My OBi, which had previously been working nearly flawlessly, has suddenly started dropping calls after a few minutes. My wife can be in middle of a conversation with someone, and suddenly, the other side of the conversation goes dead silent. She then has to hang up and redial, and the call will connect again, no problem - so it's not like the internet went down completely or anything.

The only change I can think of is that with my DSL, I had a static IP address, while now with cable, I have a dynamic IP address. Could that be the root of the problem? I'd really hate to pay additional monthly fees for a static IP just for this...

Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance!
Unlikely to be the dynamic IP address. Tens of thousands of OBi users including myself have had them working fine for years on internet connections with dynamic IP addresses.

Moishebatchy

Thanks... I was hoping as much.

So what can it be, then? Do some kind of settings/parameters need to be changed (or something like that) when switching ISPs? Would it help to "factory reset" the device and start over from scratch? I'm at my wits' end here...  ???

azrobert

Disable SIP ALG if your router has it enabled.

Moishebatchy

Quote from: azrobert on December 23, 2019, 05:51:57 AM
Disable SIP ALG if your router has it enabled.

SIP ALG appears to be already disabled by default. :(

Anything else I can try?