News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi100 + Trusted caller + GV = how?

Started by vskatusa, October 05, 2011, 06:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vskatusa

Hi,

I have setup a phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx as a trusted caller in ObiTalk. I have my obi100 setup with GV.

Now my assumption is that if I call from xxx-xxx-xxxx to my GV# I should get a voice prompt to make external calls out of my OBi100 - But I get GV voicemail.

Is there more to this setup?

RonR

Is the number you're calling your Google Voice number from one of the forwarding phones listed at Google Voice?

If so:

In advanced settings for that forwarding number in your Google Voice account, change:

Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from this phone?

Yes (default for mobile phones)

to

No (requires pressing star during greetings -- default for non-mobile phones)

vskatusa

No!

I see that X_InboundCallRoute is set to {(xxxxxxxxxx):aa},{ph}

Is the above values correct if the phone from which I am calling from is xxx-xxx-xxxx? or should it be

{(1?(xxxxxxxxxx)):aa},{ph}

RonR

You didn't say how quickly your call was being answered by Google Voice and what kind of voicmail prompt you were getting, so it was ambiguous.

The InboundCallRoute rule needs to match the incoming CallerID as shown in Call History.

{(1?xxxxxxxxxx):aa},{ph} has the advantage that it will match with or without a leading '1'.

vskatusa

Hi,

My setup:

Obi100 + GV + PANASONIC KX-TG9333T (w/answering machine) hooked to Obi100.

I have "UNCHECKED" google chat in GV settings. Yes disabled! this way I have a WHITELIST (group) defined in GV choosing groups/people authorized to reach me (enabled google chat in this settings but global google chat setting is disabled). This white list works wonderfully for me. I have TOTAL control who can call me.

I included my work phone (123-123-1234) as a trusted caller in Obitalk.com and this phone is in my WHITELIST as well.

As a GENERAL RULE i want anybody who calls from my WHITELIST to go to my PANASONIC voicemail (i.e. skip GV voice mail) - This functionality works super fine! However, I want to make an EXCEPTION to this rule! When I call from work (trusted caller) I want AA to answer the call -- How do I create an exception?

Right now, when I call from TRUSTED number (work) I get to listen to the PANASONIC voice mail!

RonR

When the OBi sends the incoming call from 123-123-1234 to the PHONE Port (your Panasonic answering machine) instead of the Auto Attendant, what does the OBi's Call History show as the CallerID (Peer Number) for that call?  That's the exact number that must be matched in the InboundCallRoute rule.  If it's 11231231234, then:

Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {11231231234:aa},{ph}

should send calls from 11231231234 to the Auto Attendant and all others to the PHONE Port.

Stewart

I am curious why you are not making the external call with GV directly, which would give you lower latency and (depending on your home Internet connection) possibly better quality.  If e.g. you are calling a country where GV's rate is not competitive or quality is poor, there may be a more direct and/or cost effective solution.

vskatusa

My call history shows 11231231234! Can I change the trusted caller in obiltalk.com to 11231231234 instead of 1231231234! - will this do it?

vskatusa

Stewart, at my work location the reception (mobile) is non-existent and I do not have wifi. Hence to make say international calls I would like to call my GV thru my work land line and thru AA dial out international lines

RonR

Quote from: vskatusa on October 07, 2011, 10:59:41 AM
My call history shows 11231231234! Can I change the trusted caller in obiltalk.com to 11231231234 instead of 1231231234! - will this do it?

I don't know about the OBiTALK Web Portal, but you should be able to set it in the OBi itself:

Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {11231231234!:aa},{ph}

Just remember to disable Auto Provisioning if making changes to the OBi directly.

Stewart

QuoteHence to make say international calls I would like to call my GV thru my work land line and thru AA dial out international lines ...
Yes, but which provider are you using for the outbound leg?  If it's GV, then you should get a better connection by calling from the GV voicemail prompt, instead of going through the OBi.  If you are using a different provider, they may have a better way of making the call (direct dial, callback, click-to-call, etc.), that would also bypass the OBi.  Or, there may be a provider that you are not currently using, who would offer a better combination of price, quality and convenience.

vskatusa

Ok I changed in obitalk.com and looked it up in obi web local ip and the voice services -> spx service -> x_inboundcallroute : {(11231231234):aa},{ph}

I shall test it out and report - thx much

I am using GV for international calls.. If I call my GV number It goes directly to my panasonic voicemail (not GV). Maybe I am not able to understand your thoughts here...Stewart, kindly explain this for me....

QuoteYes, but which provider are you using for the outbound leg?  If it's GV, then you should get a better connection by calling from the GV voicemail prompt, instead of going through the OBi.

RonR

Quote from: vskatusa on October 07, 2011, 11:32:35 AM
Ok I changed in obitalk.com and looked it up in obi web local ip and the voice services -> spx service -> x_inboundcallroute : {(11231231234):aa},{ph}

That doesn't show the trailing exclamation point.  Also, you don't need parenthesis around the number and you should not have parenthesis around the number if it contains a trailing exclamation point.  It should be as I previously illustrated:

Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {11231231234!:aa},{ph}

vskatusa

RonR

Quote from: vskatusa on October 07, 2011, 11:50:22 AM
How do i DISABLE Auto Provisioning?

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Auto Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

vskatusa

I see ITSP Provisioning (NOT ITSP Auto Provisioning) - Are both one and same? I also see OBItalk Provisioning

RonR

You apparently haven't updated to the current version of firmware.  Yes, if there's only one, that's it.

Stewart

QuoteIf I call my GV number It goes directly to my panasonic voicemail (not GV).
But you could set up a Contact in GV for your work line, so it goes directly to GV (press * during the greeting to get the prompt).  Or, you could set up the work line as one of your GV numbers, so you would go directly to the command level without entering * or your PIN.

If you need to actually call home from work, you could bypass this by calling from another line (if available) or blocking the caller ID.

vskatusa

Ok disabled the Auto Provisioning....

Voice Services --> sp1 service -> x_InboundCallRoute is now set to
{11231231234!:aa},{ph}

I shall test and report - thx

Stewart

QuoteHence to make say international calls I would like to call my GV thru my work land line and thru AA dial out international lines ...
Also, take a look at Localphone, Rebtel, Zenofon.

With Localphone, once set up, you simply dial a unique local number for each contact and it rings straight through -- no IVR, PINs, or two-stage dialing.  To most destinations, rates are lower than GV.  Depending on destination, quality may not be as good as GV, but they give you a few minutes of free calling at sign-up, so you can test without making a payment.

Rebtel and Zenofon start with the same scheme.  Although their rates are higher, they can do some "tricks" which, if applicable to your situation, can save money overall.  With Rebtel, your contact can hang up and call back the local number sent as caller ID.  If s/he does this quickly, Rebtel does not bill you at all, though your contact is now using cell minutes or paying for a local landline call.

Zenofon has the option to call you back before completing the call.  Of course, they then charge you for both legs, but if outgoing calls are costly from the phone you are using (e.g. hotel room or prepaid cellular in most countries), this can be a big saver.