News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Odd periodic OBiTALK service alert - Not Registered/is Registered

Started by Marunder, January 18, 2020, 07:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marunder

I have my Obitalk 202 connected using Googlevoice for home phone line, using Anveo for e911 service.  I set it up around a year ago, and had basically no problems until I first saw the issue Sep 2, 2019.  The issue was very infrequent at first, and has picked up since Dec 26.

The issue is two email alerts I get titled "Service Offline Alert -- OBi Device (device#) is Not Registered" and then either exactly 15 minutes or 30 minutes later, an alert that says "Service Online Alert -- OBi Device (device#) is Registered".  (I am removing device #, not sure if that is OK to broadly post.) 

The two alerts occur erratically at random days and seems random times, though it is always on the quarter hour - like 8:45 AM then 9:00 AM, 11:00 PM then 11:30 PM, etc.

I have searched for this kind of thing, but not finding similar cases so far.  Does anyone have leads on what might cause this, or leads I might follow?

ubergoober

How sure are you that your connection to the internet isn't being disrupted? 

Have you tried using the Obi while your registration to GV is allegedly down?  Is it really down?  If not, the alerts can be disabled.

Marunder

Yep, noted good point. The problem has been how very erratic it is and it is transient, usually 15 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes - since is email alerts I don't have immediate notice this is happening.

Hmmm - but it jogged my brain, that could be the problem - will assess my Orbi mesh wifi a bit. Not sure why it might do this but is a lead :P.  My Obi202 is connected via that wifi, not hardwired.  And... this may have started happening when I installed Orbi! I will check back to see when I installed it and work form there. Also thanks for the suggestion about disabling alerts uber.

Marunder

Current solution!  :)  I think...
Since original post I tried searching for similar events, including related to my Orbi Mesh network, and for Google Voice, but had no luck.  I did find one similar event noted from this forum (https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13713.0) but that query had no replies. I have listed current issues which had accumulated over time further below*. 

1.  First what I did.
After sifting through the Obi manual and various forums quite a bit since I originally posted, I opted to just redo things.  I did not take good notes, sorry about how vague and missing details below is; I did nothing unusual, just followed various good guidances in this forum and from the Obi site.

- I deleted Google Voice and my Anveo e911 from SP1 and SP2, and removed my Obi202 device via my Obi dashboard.
- I did a factory reset on the Obi202 with a paper clip as advised elsewhere.
- Attached the Obi202 via ethernet cable to my LAN and set Google Voice and Anveo e911 up while hardwire connected, and tested the attached phone (a semi-historic Panasonic KX-TG7871 with two remote stations).
- Once that was working, I was able to again set up the Obi202 on wifi after adding the WIFI USB dongle,  reenabling from the attached Panasonic, and connecting to my Orbi Mesh Wifi, also using instructions found here or on Obi site.

Everything now works :) - fingers crossed it keeps working... one last bit:

*Issues that accumulated and things tried: [fortunately we rarely use this phone... :)  ]
- The alerts got worse over time, and recently got to multiple alerts per day and with sometimes longer times between disconnection, but always in multiples of 15 minutes. Today between 12:30 AM and 6:15 AM there were 8 alerts.
- We also began to sometimes get below message when trying to call out:
"The number you dialed xxx xxx xxxx has not received a response from the Service provider."       This would be followed by 3 tones, then the message would repeat.
It did this when I called both mobile and known landline phone numbers.
- There had been no Ring Back when calling out for some time, not sure when that started.
- Sometimes a call to my mobile # worked and I could answer the call, but there was no audio connection with the home phone I was calling from.
- Using Obi echo test **9 222 222 222 worked.
- I could leave a message on GV from my mobile.
- I did "Replace Google Account Credentials" from Obi dashboard for same GV, still not working.

Ok, done for now.  Thanks all who give excellent support. GL all! :)