News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBIs are going down then coming back up repeatedly

Started by csmanagement, January 23, 2020, 12:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csmanagement

drgeoff

1. Please delete the extra copies of your post ASAP.

2. You need to explain what you mean by "going down then coming back up repeatedly".

csmanagement

Geoff,

Yesterday around 11 AM PST, we had a number of our OBi units go down. We believe this was related to a widespread Comcast outage. However, since that time, our OBi units have been fluctuating in communication. For example, the power light on the OBi 200s are solid, will turn off, then come back on for 30 seconds to 1 minute, and lose connection again. I researched that this issue means the OBi is trying to obtain a new DHCP address, but I'm confused as to why it is occurring across the board for so many devices. We have around 60 devices that are experiencing this same issue at different locations with different ISPs as of 11 AM yesterday. Do you think this is related to our VOIP provider or the OBi unit itself? Any insight would be amazing.

drgeoff

Very odd.  The power LED is affected by 3 things:

1.  Power. (surprise!) If power disappears the LED goes out.

2.  Reboot.  LED goes red, then out very briefly, may flash green before returning to steady green upon successful network connection.

3.  Lack of network connection. Blinking green.

Note that "network connection" means to the LAN.  Lack of connection to the WAN or the OBitalk servers does not affect the power LED.

An OBi's status pages will show when it was last rebooted and give the reason code.  The codes are detailed on page 56 of  https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

csmanagement

Thanks for the tips! I've uploaded a video of what the units are doing with a butt set for voltage. Not sure if this will help.
https://youtu.be/mTEYWzcleDU

SteveInWA

You eliminated all but one of the possible causes:

• It happens in multiple locations, so it's not a AC power line problem.
  • It happens with many devices, so it is not a device hardware (or power brick) problem.
  • It happens with different ISPs, so it's not an ISP issue.

That leaves two possibilities:  most likely, it's an ITSP problem; less likely, if you are running these on a VPN or on a managed LAN that acts as its own DHCP and DNS server.

Do you have another ITSP you can use for testing, substituting it for the existing one?  If not, you could set up an account with Callcentric or voip.ms.

Look at the device's status page via either the local device's own webpage (via its IP address) or via OBiTALK Expert Configuration mode.  What DNS server are they using?  Are they using their local router's DHCP service, or something else?  Try changing the DNS primary and secondary servers to 9.9.9.9 (Quad 9 DNS) or 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS).

csmanagement

Thank you Steve. I haven't tried another ITSP yet, but I will try today. I'm using voip.ms for all of the devices and they are still having this issue. One thing I noticed was all of their uptimes on the expert config menu are around 30 seconds. This means the devices are restarting themselves, correct? I attached a screen grab of the uptime from the Status menu.

I also tried changing the DNS around as you stated, but it didn't have any effect.

I also removed the ITSP from my SP1 provider slot on a testing unit, and the device is continuing to restart itself as the video shows above. I'll see if using another ITSP resolves it.

csmanagement

Okay, I may have made some progress. I deleted the testing device I have from the OBI portal and it stopped power cycling. I'm going to factory default it and add it back to the portal.

csmanagement

Immediately when I added the device back to the portal, it began losing connection and restoring again. When I tried to configure voip.ms, I got a Service Not Configured error. I read some old forums that stated to add the device again. After re-adding it, now the voip.ms configuration now says Offline, but the device has a connection. I'm going to try a different ITSP now.

csmanagement

I tried to register with Callcentric, but every time I got a confirmation email to make an account it told me it was an expired link.

Registered with Ring Central, got the account setup with their support, input the information into OBitalk, and it says Service Not Configured (pictured below). Now getting this error from voip.ms and Ring Central. Devices are still cycling every 30 seconds. Any ideas? Thank you for your help.

csmanagement

Here is the solution from support:

"Your OBiTALK account (www.obitalk.com) with sign-in *email* is not designed to add/register 60+ OBi units but only at expected 20.  At 60+ OBi ATA Devices under a single Sign-In are causing overflow issues, with so many OBi devices trying to talk to each other.  Having that many devices in that same account, the parameters are trying to link the Outboundcallroute with other OBi200 devices.

Sign back into your OBiTALK account (www.obitalk.com) with *email* and, again, go to the OBi Expert Configuration page:

Select OBi number for Device Configuration page.

Select the OBi Expert Configuration blue button.

Click OK.

Click Enter OBi Expert blue button.

To Voice Services / for OBiTALK Service / under OBiTALK Service Settings / to field "InboundCallRoute"

At right, uncheck box for OBiTALK Settings.

DO NOT uncheck Device Default, scroll to bottom and click Submit to lock changes."

Our solution is changing this to a partner account with Polycom. Thank you both for your help.

SteveInWA

Well, if you had mentioned that you had that very large number of devices in your earlier posts, it would have been apparent it was the root cause.

If you set up a service provider/partner account with Poly, that should take care of it in the future.

csmanagement

Quote from: csmanagement on January 24, 2020, 12:05:42 PM
We have around 60 devices that are experiencing this same issue at different locations with different ISPs as of 11 AM yesterday. Do you think this is related to our VOIP provider or the OBi unit itself? Any insight would be amazing.

I did. Thanks for the help.