News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 Suddenly Won't Forward Calls to Google Voice (Home) # But Calls Out Fine

Started by brad.mccollum, January 25, 2020, 09:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad.mccollum

I noticed over the last week that we have not been receiving any calls on our home line which is basically a Google Voice number that is handled through the obi200. I can call out from our home number connected to the obi200 just fine but the phone does not ring for incoming calls to the home number. I have unplugged the power from the obi200 and let it sit for 2 minutes and plugged it back up but there is no change. I have not adjusted any settings in recent months on the obi200 nor in Google Voice. Any thoughts on what to do?

drgeoff

Quote from: brad.mccollum on January 25, 2020, 09:42:50 AM
I noticed over the last week that we have not been receiving any calls on our home line which is basically a Google Voice number that is handled through the obi200. I can call out from our home number connected to the obi200 just fine but the phone does not ring for incoming calls to the home number. I have unplugged the power from the obi200 and let it sit for 2 minutes and plugged it back up but there is no change. I have not adjusted any settings in recent months on the obi200 nor in Google Voice. Any thoughts on what to do?
Call your GV number from another phone. One that you have not added as a forwarding destination in your settings at voice .google.com.  What do you hear in that phone's earpiece?

brad.mccollum

I temporarily removed my mobile # to where my Google Voice calls to our "home" # are no longer forwarded to my mobile #. I then called the home #, it rang 4 times and rolled to my voice mail message.

I know even with the forwarding turned on to where my mobile # should receive calls ringing into the home #, this forwarding / dual ringing option has also quit working in recent days. For example, I can call the home # from my wife's mobile # and my mobile # that's been in the Google Voice settings for years as the forwarding # does not ring.

SteveInWA

It's very difficult to follow your posts.  Geoff was trying to get you to systematically troubleshoot, one step at at time.

Unplug the OBi 200 from electric power.

Use a desktop or laptop computer's web browser.  If you're using Google Chrome Browser, press Ctrl-Shift-N to open an Incognito window, or, if you're using Firefox, press Ctrl-Shift-P to open a Private browsing window.

In that incognito or private window, sign into the correct Gmail account that holds your Google Voice phone number, then go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings

Do you see your Google Voice number at the top of the page?  If not, you are signed into the wrong Google account.  If you do see the number, then scroll down to the "Devices" section, and delete every single device listed except for "Web".

Call your Google Voice number from some unrelated number that is not also a Google Voice number.  What, exactly happens?  The expected behavior is that you, as the caller, will hear about 25 seconds of ringing, and then you should be forwarded to your Google Voice voicemail.  Does that work?

brad.mccollum

Yes I'm signed into the correct Gmail account.

What I mentioned earlier is what happens when I call our Google Voice #... it rings about 4 times and then rolls to voice mail.  The home phones (the Google Voice #) do not ring when I call the Google Voice #.

brad.mccollum

Found those instructions yesterday before you posted them but thank you! I followed them 100% start to finish and everything back working fine now!