News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cannot Connect to Web Portal

Started by Harvey, February 15, 2011, 04:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey

I wanted to upgrade your firmware as I noticed the yellow sign next to my OBi110 on my OBi110 dashboard. I started to follow your instructions at:
www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.msg15#new

I called the ***1 and the voice indicated that the IP address of my OBi110 was  192.168.1.2

I opened up a new browser window to try to go to that address but received the following error message:
"The webpage at http://192.168.1.2/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address".

I tried on three browsers for Windows - Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer and none connected.

MichiganTelephone

Is your computer also being assigned an address in the 192.168.1.x range?  Can you connect to any other devices or computers on your local network?

I'm assuming you haven't manually set your OBi110 to use a specific IP address (that is, I assume it's still pulling an address using DHCP).  But if the OBi is not in the same local network segment as your computer then you might have this issue (for example, if your OBi and your computer are connected to different routers).  Another thing that might cause this problem is a too-restrictive firewall, that hasn't been set to allow access to other computers or devices on your local network.  Do you run any security software that might block local network access?

Those are about the only things I can think of offhand that might cause this issue, though there are undoubtedly others.

Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Harvey

My computer is also being assigned an address in the 192.168.1.x range.  ipconfig /all from a command prompt reveals my computer assigned ip address:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.15

I have not manually set my OBi110 to use a specific IP address.  New computers can easily access my local network.

MichiganTelephone

If you have a different computer, try connecting to the OBi110 from that.  Also, you could try rebooting both the OBi110 and the computer - sometimes a reboot fixes strange things like this (you will have to do the ***1 again in case the OBi110 gets a new address after the reboot).

Note also that if your device were set up to use the OBiTALK portal, it could download updates directly, though perhaps you have reasons for not wanting to do that.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Harvey

Well... thanks MichiganTelephone.  I had not realized, when I wrote my original post, that I could update directly at the OBiTALK portal and I have now done that.  Therefore, I am not now concerned that I can not connect to the Web portal.  If I find, in the future, that I do need to connect through that portal, and my browser will not access that 192.168.1.2, then I will try your other piece of advice (switching computers). 

By the way, instead of me opening up another new post, I could ask you -- If I take the OBi110 off of my network where is it presently installed (my home network) and install it on another router in a different network (like at an office) do I establish a new Obitalk account or just go to that present OBitalk dashboard and make some adjustments there?

MichiganTelephone

Harvey, you're welcome.  As for moving it, it should just work on the new network, and if you do need to make any changes you can still use the same OBiTALK portal account.  You don't need to establish a new account.

jimates

Once configured you can move the Obi anywhere. When you plug it in it will connect to Obitalk. When you sign in at Obitalk you should see the status as green on your dashboard.

The only thing that will change is the ip address of the unit.