News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Adding a portable IP phone or softphone to analogue PBX

Started by PaulS, February 01, 2020, 02:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulS

Hi I am looking to add a portable IP phone and / or softphone apps running on smart phones to a analogue PBX extension. It is just for use within a local network where there is good wifi coverage. I have done a similar thing but just bridging an analogue extension handset over a LAN using 2 A OBi110 a whlile ago which works great. But I am not sure how it will work with IP phone & softphone apps.

I would like an incoming call on the analogue extension to forward to the IP phone (was looking at using a grandstream WP820) and also 1 or more softphone apps if possible. I plan on using a OBI200 to connect to the PBX. Obviously I would also like to be able to make calls through the PBX using the IP / softphones.

I haven't purchased the hardware yet to try so I thought I'd see if it is possible to achieve the above first.

Thanks in advance for any advice / suggestions

Paul

azrobert

The OBi200 has a single FSX port. Don't you need an FXO port to connect to your PBX? Do you still have an OBi110?

PaulS

Sorry my mistake, I meant the OBI212 with FXS & FXO port.

I don't have the OBI110's as they are installed at a site.

drgeoff

Quote from: PaulS on February 02, 2020, 01:14:29 AM
Sorry my mistake, I meant the OBI212 with FXS & FXO port.

I don't have the OBI110's as they are installed at a site.

The OBi212 will address the issue of connecting analogue PBX and IP but you still need to connect the IP phone to the OBi212.  I don't know if the OBi212 can have an IP phone SIP register to it in the same way as described in the attachment.  (Even for the OBi202 that does not work properly with some IP phones).

Another possibility would be to install eg RasPBX on a RaspberryPi and connect both IP phone and OBi212 to it.

azrobert

It "should" work if your device or softphone can call without registration. I have Android softphones and a PC communicating with an OBi200 and an OBi110. The only problem is availability of the OBi212. I can only find a refurbished unit on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBi212-VoIP-Voice-Adapter-OBi212-with-FXS-Phone-and-FXO-Google-Voice-SIP/153789763030?epid=16015847369&hash=item23ce958dd6:g:aB0AAOSw5nJeFjca

PaulS

Thank you both for the input. I assumed that product was still current.

It seems it could be a bit hit and miss to get this setup going.

I read in another post someone mentioned using the the obion pc app to link to softphones, I'll look into that a bit more.

azrobert, would you mind letting me know which softphone app you have best results with?

While googling, I found mention that Obi212 was discontinued and there is an alternative Polycom obi312 https://www.voipsupply.com/nsearch/?q=obi312

Not sure why its not on the Obitalk website?

drgeoff

Quote from: PaulS on February 02, 2020, 08:14:18 PM
Thank you both for the input. I assumed that product was still current.

It seems it could be a bit hit and miss to get this setup going.

I read in another post someone mentioned using the the obion pc app to link to softphones, I'll look into that a bit more.

azrobert, would you mind letting me know which softphone app you have best results with?

While googling, I found mention that Obi212 was discontinued and there is an alternative Polycom obi312 https://www.voipsupply.com/nsearch/?q=obi312

Not sure why its not on the Obitalk website?
All the Obion apps (PC, Android, ioS) are no longer available for download and their sections of this forum removed so you may have some difficulty to find it and configure it.

Regarding the OBi212/312, until there is some definite confirmation I would ignore that post about 312 replacing the 212.  Historically the 3xx model has had the same hardware and firmware as the corresponding 2xx model but the firmware somehow "knows" it is in a 3xx and does not enable GoogleVoice.  The "replacement" confusion may have arisen because all the Obihai branded OBi2xx and OBi3xx models are discontinued, but replaced by the Polycom branded models with a different coloured case but the same internals.

azrobert

Quote from: PaulS on February 02, 2020, 08:14:18 PM

The support was dropped for the softphone I was using and I recently switched to Zoiper for Android, so I don't have a lot of experience using it. I also use Phonerlite for PCs.

Use setup option 2 in the link drgeoff supplied. The port in the softphone Proxy setting is the X_UserAgentPort on the OBi. The OBi has a bug that prevents some devices registering. If this happens, uncheck X_Proxy. Zoiper will automatically detect some settings. If Zoiper fails registration, you will get an error after entering Proxy. Ignore this and select Use Away. Zoiper will now work unregistered. It will then attempt to detect the transport type. If this fails, manually select SIP UDP.

Cook1e

If we still want to use our traditional analog telephone, we can buy a SIP adapter from them prepaidgiftbalance.