News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

VOIP service w/o an associated phone number

Started by ToeIntheWater, February 15, 2020, 06:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToeIntheWater

Good afternoon all,

I have recently purchased two OBI 110's with the sole purpose of blocking spam calls.  It looks like I have that going with just one question specific to the Obi110 left - I'll post that in a minute. 

This question is general, is it possible to have VOIP service JUST for outgoing calls... that is no phone number associated with that service? 

I have a POTS line - hence the obi110 - and am fine having people call me on that.  What I want to do is call Asia using the much lower VOIP service rates.  In my research it looks like a DID is the incoming phone number and is charged for separately.  I want to avoid that since I don't need it.   I know this is not an OBI question per se, but I can not seem to find an answer by searching - I think this is either so obvious I'm the only idiot that does not realize it, or so impossible, no one would think to point it out.

Thanks in advance for your consideration, and sharing your knowledge.

drgeoff

It is possible but depends on what the specific Internet Telephony Service provider offers.

For example I have an account with Localphone (UK).  I use it only for for outgoing international calls on a pay per call basis.  It does not have, nor do I pay Localphone for, an incoming number that can be reached from public phone networks.  I also have a POTS line and after Localphone verified its number, they configured their system such that calls I make through them have the POTS number as the CLI.

sumguy

I originally tested out voip by registering an account with voip.ms and creating an 'extension' with which to make outgoing calls. Once I got the hang of the system I purchased a DID from their site to familiarize myself with the incoming features and processes. So yes you can setup a voip out-call service separately. It seems to be the norm in the voip world.