News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 Breaking up on phone 1 line only

Started by ronstory, March 02, 2020, 12:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronstory

I've had the OBI202 for 3+ years on GV with two phone lines with no problems until recently using FW 5898.  When I call out on Phone1 after a few mins, I get complaints that my voice is breaking up.  First i thought it was the phone (13 years old) and bought a new one, but the problem still persists.  Now the weird thing is call out using Phone2, there are no problems. 

I've tried swapping the physical phones between betweens Phone1 and Phone2 jacks, and the problem follows Phone1.   I just updated to FW 5921 and the problem still happens.

I have QOS enabled on router, but since the OBI202 only has a single IP address... I'm thinking the OBI devices is failing?   Or other ideas?

Help!  ... pretty please.  ;D

Thanks,
Ron

RFC3261

Quote from: ronstory on March 02, 2020, 12:02:35 PMOr other ideas?

The OBi could be going bad.  But first try to replace the power supply with something of the same voltage (12V), and equal or higher amperage to see if that resolves the issue (poor power due to a failing or marginal adapter can result in various unusual failure modes).  You *might* find that you can borrow some supply from some other consumer electronics device you have around the residence, and if that resolves the problem you can purchase a power supply replacement.  Others have suggested this is an ideal replacement: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNL5D56 as Poly themselves does not sell power adapters.

drgeoff

Very unlikely that a PSU fault would only affect one "line".

Swap the GV numbers over on the two SPs.  If the breaking up moves to the other number then yes the OBi202 is most likely faulty.

ronstory

Thank-you both for the feedback.  Swapping the PS is easy and I have another '202 with only one line used, so I'll swap them and hopefully workaround the issue.

BTW, is there a high failure rate for the Obi 202?  Or am I just unlucky?  ;^)

Thanks,
Ron

RFC3261

Quote from: drgeoff on March 03, 2020, 08:22:17 AM
Very unlikely that a PSU fault would only affect one "line".
I would generally agree, but I know if a few cases for other consumer electronics devices that one (and only one) of the "ports" had issues that were resolved by replacing power supplies.  Presumably (in those case) internally the power supply rails were differently routed or loaded, or one port component was more susceptible to power issues.  And if it is an easy thing to try, it is often worth a shot.