News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cisco IP Phone as an endpoint?

Started by ewalker3, October 09, 2011, 02:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ewalker3

Can a Cisco 7940 or 7960 be used as an endpoint to connect to the obi110 and access googlevoice?

Thanks.

yhfung

May be we can use the HTTP Authentication method to connect the OBi110 and the Cisco IP Phone.

YH
Hong Kong and China OBi Users Group
www.telecom-cafe.com

daibaan

YH,

can you elaborate on "HTTP Authentication method"? I have an Cisco 7906, however, I am using is as a standalone SIP phone, have been wondering how to connect it to obi and what would be the advantage

/daibaan

> May be we can use the HTTP Authentication method to connect the OBi110 and the Cisco IP Phone.

Stewart

Unfortunately, OBi HTTP authentication works only on the ObiTALK protocol, which the Cisco phones can't speak.  However, if the phones and Obi are on the same LAN, you shouldn't need authentication, provided that the ports involved are not open to the Internet.  If your router can't ensure that, you can gain some security by using an obscure port and a long pseudo-random user name.

Uses for such a setup:

1. If you have a POTS line or a locked service that offers a POTS interface (cable, fiber or VDSL voice, Vonage, etc.), the OBi enables you to use IP phones with those services.

2. You can use IP phones with Google Voice and/or the OBiTALK network.

3. You can use IP phones with Dock-N-Talk or similar.

4. If you have a SIP service that does not support multiple registrations, OBi permits you to ring multiple phones and have concurrent incoming calls.

ewalker3

So if the cisco phone and obi is on the same lan what do i need to do to get the cisco phone to act as a SIP client?

Ed

Stewart

# Proxy Server
proxy1_address: "192.168.1.123" ;address of OBi

# Line 1 Settings
line1_name: "1234"                        ; Line 1 caller ID
line1_displayname: "Cisco7960 Line1"    ; Line 1 Display Name
line1_shortname: "Line1"
line1_authname: "Cisco7960"   ; Line 1 Registration Authentication, not used by OBi
line1_password: "Cisco7960"    ; Line 1 Registration Password, not used by OBi

proxy_register: 0 ;OBi does not accept registration.

If you need other lines on Cisco to register, I believe that this won't work, because proxy_register is a global setting.  Perhaps newer Cisco firmware fixes this problem.

ewalker3

Stewart,

Thanks - where do I enter that info at? is there something I need to do on the phone as well?
thanks for the additional clarification.
ed