News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 - Multi-second Dropouts Every Couple Minutes Despite Hardwired

Started by Jinxie, March 10, 2020, 10:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxie

My Obi200 drops out on the receiving end for 2-5 seconds every couple minutes despite being hardwired to a MESH extender/router.  Speeds are 400 MbPS with limited errors.  My other 29 devices all work splendidly.  This is my only option for a business line and it's not passing muster.  I've ordered a replacement as my last day to return is later this week. 

Does this suggest the device is bad?  Any help is much appreciated.

SteveInWA

Quote...despite being hardwired to a MESH extender/router...

Please provide more details.  Do you mean:  you have one main router, and the extenders are linked to that router via WiFi (hence your use of the term "mesh"), or is there an Ethernet cable running from the main router to each extender?  By "hardwired", do you mean that you connected an Ethernet cable from the extender to the OBi device?

If my assumptions are correct, then periodic, brief signal quality issues in the WiFi link are causing the problem.  If this is a typical cable ISP service, then you likely have asymmetric service, with say, 50Mbps download and a much slower upload.  It's possible that some other device on your premises network is periodically maxing out the upload bandwidth, which will cause the party on the other end of your call to experience drop-outs or distortion in your voice.

The next step would be to move the OBi device over near the main router, and connect the router and the OBi via an Ethernet cable.  That would narrow down the problem.  If performance improves, you have a WiFi issue; if it still fails, you have an ISP bandwidth issue.

Jinxie

Steve, the extenders are all hardwired to the MTA.

MY upload speeds are ~100 MbPS.  It's fiber optic.

Thanks so much for your help.

SteveInWA

In that case, I'm out of ideas, other than disconnecting everything from your main router, and then cabling to the OBi, and see if that makes any difference (in other words, for testing purposes; I am not suggesting it as a permanent solution).

Good luck!

Jinxie

Steve, thanks for the suggestion.  I will try that, before swapping out OBI200s.  Do you think a defect in the unit could cause this to happen?

Thanks a million for the help.

SteveInWA

It seems unlikely, but anything's possible.  If it's < 1 year old, you could open a support ticket.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/support/request-support

Jinxie

Thanks again.  I've already ordered a replacement as I was within 30 days of purchase.

For now, I am plugged into the MTA and will report back after collecting some data. 

Many thanks.