News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 appears fine but no dialtone

Started by AlexCBUS, March 20, 2020, 10:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexCBUS

We had some kind of power event last night (Obi200 is behind a surge protector). When I woke up I no longer had a dialtone on any of the handsets. I rebooted the Obi, all 3 lights are green. I went to ObiTalk.com and it shows both Google Voice and Anveo911 as connected/registered. I also went directly to the device and all my test calls from my cell phones are present under Status->Call History. Status -> Phone Port Status has everything blanked out except for LastCallerInfo, which is my cell phone.

How can I troubleshoot this further?

SteveInWA

What, exactly, do you mean by "blanked out"?  See my attachment showing what it should look like.  If there is no voltage, then try unplugging ALL telephone line(s) from the OBi (and leaving it/them unplugged), power-cycle it, and then look again.

AlexCBUS

I cycled the power, but the same result. I've attached some screenshots.

SteveInWA

Did you take those screenshots while nothing at all - no telephone cords was plugged into the OBi's phone jack?  If not, unplug the power cord and the phone cord from the OBl (leaving the Ethernet cable connected), then plug in just the power cord and wait for it to boot up.  Check the voltage/current again.  If it's blank, then the telephone interface chip in the OBi is fried, and it's time for a new one.

It's not likely to solve the problem, but, if you have another 12V 1A (or higher current) AC/DC adapter, you can try swapping it out.

AlexCBUS

Yes, that was taken after unplug/restart/leave unplugged. I'm wondering if a surge came through the phone lines somehow.

SteveInWA

Quote from: AlexCBUS on March 20, 2020, 01:01:37 PM
Yes, that was taken after unplug/restart/leave unplugged. I'm wondering if a surge came through the phone lines somehow.

That's likely, especially if the other, non-telephone line functions are still working (e.g. the device's Ethernet interface and its embedded web server).

You can't repair it, so it is time to replace it.

AlexCBUS

Why not? We're all under quarantine anyway. Thanks for the advice. Stay healthy everyone.