News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 immediately hangs up when answering incoming call

Started by nicambrose, March 26, 2020, 05:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicambrose

Hello all,

Having the oddest problem here, just started today without any interaction or setting changes from me. When I receive an incoming call, the phone will ring. When I answer the call on an Obi-connected phone, it immediately hangs up and I get a dial tone. The caller continues to hear ringing, then it goes to messaging. Outgoing calls function normally.

The weirdest part is this: I have SP1 through SP4 populated with Google Voice numbers and a Callcentric E911 number, and this is happening across all numbers. I have two separate Obi200's, set up the same, and it is happening across both units. (Not both connected at the same time-one was a backup). Call forwarding also goes to my cell, which rings along with the house phone and I can answer the call with that normally. I've turned that feature off and on, tried different phones including a basic wired phone, checked every setting in expert settings, power cycled the units, router, modem, etc. No joy.

Is there anything that shares commonality across all numbers and devices that might explain this behavior? I'm at a loss.

Thanks for the input...

SteveInWA

Well that's a new one.  You said, "Call forwarding also goes to my cell, which rings along with the house phone and I can answer the call with that normally".

Given that it is impossible to forward more than one Google Voice number to the same forwarding mobile phone number, I question your setup.  Do you mean that you have four different Gmail accounts, each with one Google Voice number, and each one also has one unique mobile phone number linked, or what?  Please provide additional details as to what you have configured on the Google Voice settings page.

nicambrose

First, it appears I've got it partially solved. To answer your question, I should have been more specific. SP1, my main house number, forwards to my cell. I can answer a call to that number normally on the cell. The other numbers are associated with other, unique, Google accounts. These are directed to the two Obi devices, and the web. I had no way to test those on the cell as I did SP1.

What I did just now was to go through each of the three GV numbers, each associated with a different Google account, and 'Replace my Google Account Credentials' on each, even though the credentials had not changed. That seemed to get SP2 and SP3 working normally, but SP1, my main number, still hangs up immediately. SP4 is the Callcentric E911 service which I really don't want to mess with. It worked a few weeks ago.

nicambrose

Aaaand, it appears I spoke too soon. Now only SP3 is working, and SP2 is back to hanging up upon answer, as is SP1. So weird. This may be a Google Voice issue, and not Obi's. I don't know, and I'm at a loss to fix it. I may try deleting the SP's completely and redoing them, and or deleting the Obi200's from Obitalk, doing a hard reset, and starting over.

SteveInWA

OK, making progress, perhaps, or maybe not!

This is important, since you have multiple, different Gmail accounts:  is it safe to assume that your account provisioned on SP1 is a consumer Gmail.com account, and not a G Suite domain?  As of now, you can no longer use G Suite with the OBi 200 series. 

If this is, in fact, a consumer Gmail account, then ensure you are only signed into that one Gmail account by doing this:  if you're using Google Chrome Browser, press Ctrl-Shift-N to open an "Incognito" browsing window, or, if you're using Firefox, press Ctrl-Shift-P to open a "Private" browsing window.

Go to the Google Voice settings page.  Delete all, yes, every single device and linked phone number.  You should now only see "Web" in the devices section.  Press Ctrl-T to open another tab in this incognito/private window.  Sign into your OBiTALK dashboard.  Delete the SP1 configuration (trash-can it).  Wait a while for the device to remotely reboot and settle down.

Now, click SP1 and start from the beginning, to configure the same Gmail account as you are using in the other browser tab.  Do not add any other devices or phone numbers to this Google Voice configuration yet.  After the configuration completes, confirm that the SP1 status is "Registered".  Try calling that Google Voice number from some unrelated number, not from another Google Voice number.  What happens?

If it now works correctly, then go to your mobile phone, and assuming it is either an Android or iPhone running the official Google Voice app, set up the app to use that Gmail account.  Then, you must program Conditional Call Forwarding on your mobile number, according to your particular carrier's star (*) codes.  If you don't know how, tell me the carrier.  Repeat the test call.  It should continue to work properly, with unanswered or busy calls going to your Google Voice voicemail.

misterp

I have this same problem.  It started March 27 but perhaps earlier.  Obi200 hangs up after two rings.  My Obi200 has only 1 consumer google account in SP1.  Yesterday I deleted the Obi200 from google, and then readded it and it worked.  Today it is back to the hang up situation.

misterp

I have now followed SteveInWA's instructions (although I hard rebooted the Obi200 after deleting everything).  Unsurprisingly it works now, but that is the same behavior as yesterday.  I will report back.

misterp

misterp

So, more on my setup.

- Obi200, 1 google consumer account with 1 linked phone number at voice.google.com

- mobile phone1, number not linked at GV

- mobile phone2, number linked at GV

Previous setup: Mobile1 and Mobile2 both have GV app logged into consumer acct.  In GV, not forwarded to linked number, but all devices selected to ring(Obi, Mobile1, Mobile2).  In practice only Obi and Mobile1 ring, but it has worked for many months, perhaps longer.

Attempt A: Same as previous setup.  Obi does hangup when handset picked up on incoming call, incoming call can still be answered on Mobile1.

Now trying attempt B:  Mobile1 and Mobile2 both have GV app logged into consumer acct.  In GV, not forwarded to linked number, only web and Obi selected to ring.

As expected attempt B works right now, but I will report back.  Attempt B is much less functional than Previous setup.  Mobile1 and Mobile2 are essentially not mobile phones having essentially zero minutes, data and texts.  Definitely not interested in Mobile1 or Mobile2 ringing on their own numbers.

misterp

Attempt B already stopped working.  No more ideas.

natepixel

We are having this problem on a two-line system with a single Obi 200. It doesn't happen on every call but it does on most calls. Turning on forwarding to a cell phone lets us answer calls but this is a huge problem and started yesterday. Following and hoping someone smarter with Obi than I can figure this one out!

misterp

Mine is intermittent as well. It just worked once with Mobile1 set to ring from GV and Obi200 answered successfully.

sir_rob

I am having this problem too.  Since the calls go to my Obi and cell phone, I end up having to answer on my cell phone after trying with my regular phone.  I have two different Obi 202 units with different Google Voice accounts that are behaving the same way.

sir_rob

I also have a Panasonic with VM disabled.  It looks like this is a common problem.  There are other threads addressing this as well but no solution.

szab

I have same problems as of yesterday. I just wonder since Policom now is with obitalk something was chamged? I reset my OBI 200 to factory condition and went to reconnect it to Google Voice again. Doesn't help any.

himpstergamer

Quote from: misterp on March 28, 2020, 08:19:00 AM
So, more on my setup.

- Obi200, 1 google consumer account with 1 linked phone number at voice.google.com

- mobile phone1, number not linked at GV

- mobile phone2, number linked at GV

Previous setup: Mobile1 and Mobile2 both have GV app logged into consumer acct.  In GV, not forwarded to linked number, but all devices selected to ring(Obi, Mobile1, Mobile2).  In practice only mouse clicker Obi and Mobile1 ring, but it has worked for many months, perhaps longer.

Attempt A: Same as previous setup.  Obi does hangup when handset picked up on incoming call, incoming call can still be answered on Mobile1.

Now trying attempt B:  Mobile1 and Mobile2 both have GV app logged into consumer acct.  In GV, not forwarded to linked number, only web and Obi selected to ring.

As expected attempt B works right now, but I will report back.  Attempt B is much less functional than Previous setup.  Mobile1 and Mobile2 are essentially not mobile phones having essentially zero minutes, data and texts.  Definitely not interested in Mobile1 or Mobile2 ringing on their own numbers.
It doesn't happen on every call but it does on most calls. Turning on forwarding to a cell phone lets us answer calls but this is a huge problem and started yesterday. Following and hoping someone smarter with Obi