News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 200 - Unmanaged Device

Started by cborjon, March 30, 2020, 06:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cborjon

This device has been in a box for a couple of years.  I connected it to my router, added a phone and powered it up.  I logged in to ObiTalk via Google and the attempted to Add Device.  To no surprise, I got an error told me I needed a firmware update.  I poked around on the forum and found the link to download the firmware update.  I followed that manual update process, and I am now running firmware 3.2.2 B5921EX. 

A couple of questions about the firmware:
1.  Is this the correct version firmware for the Obi200?
2.  In the web configuration pages, after installing this firmware, none of the ? buttons work, so I can't get an explanation of the options.  Seems weird.  Is this normal?

The Obi200 has a SOLID green power light and the data light is near solid. 
I can make the test call to **9 222 222 222.

On the Obi Dashboard the Status is a Green dot.  The error when I "Click here for more" is:
"Unmanaged Device.  This device is currently unmanaged by OBiTALK. Either your device was factory reset, or the provsioning was disabled from the local web page. The device will need to be added to OBiTALK again. This requires physical access to the device. Click 'Continue' below to start the process of re-adding the OBi."

The ObiTalk troubleshooting for a solid  green light suggests changing the DNS to 4.2.2.2.  I did this on the web configuration pages.  Clicked submit and rebooted the Obi200.   Went back to the Obitalk Dashboard and clicked on Add Device.  Dialed **5 xxxx and it fails.   I also repeated the process and tried 8.8.8.8 and 68.94.156.8 which in what my Asus RT-AC5300 uses.  None of them worked.

I have not used one of these devices in a long time (Obi100?). What is the Obi Expert Configuration? Does this error have to do with the Auto Provisioning settings in the web configuration pages? 

Can anyone provide some advice?  Different firmware? 

Thanks for you help
-Chris

SteveInWA

Whoa, I admire your dedication, but stop flailing around.  Let's do this systematically.

There are two different user interfaces (UIs) to manage an OBiTALK device:  the device's embedded web server, which you access via its IP address, or the OBiTALK dashboard, which is a cloud management platform.  Use OBiTALK, and do not use the local IP address UI, as local changes will be overwritten by the portal as soon as the device reboots.

The current firmware version is 3.2.2 5921EX.  I don't know if you made a typo, adding the "B" or not.  If you have 5921EX, then it should simply work with no network fiddling.

If you previously successfully added the device to your OBiTALK dashboard, then go back to http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev and delete it (trash can).

After waiting a few minutes, unplug the power and Ethernet cords.  Plug in the power (not the Ethernet) and wait for it to boot up.  Pick up the attached phone.  I assume you will hear a dial tone; if not, stop now.  If so, key in ***8, then 1, and let it perform a factory default restore.  Give it plenty of time to do this.  It should eventually settle down with the power LED on steady.  Unplug power.  Plug in the Ethernet cable and the power and let it boot up again.  Pick up the phone and key in ***1 and confirm that it was assigned an IP address.

If so, go back to the OBiTALK dashboard, click "add device", and follow the **5 procedure.  If it was successful, you should eventually see a green dot to the right of the device, and you should be able to make a successful OBiTALK network test call to **9 222 222 222.  Does it work after these steps?

cborjon

Sorry about the duplicate post.  It returned a google error when I first tried to post.  I signed in with Google so I guess it hicupped checking my credentials.

I appreciate the quick reply. 

Yes the B was a typo.  I have 3.2.2. 5921EX.

I followed your instructions and deleted the device that got added the first time around.  I then did the factory default restore.  I waited 10 mins or so since the Green light kept flashing.  However, I checked the manual and flashing Green means looking for a DHCP IP address, which since he ethernet cable at this point was unplugged it was not going to find.

Continuing with the next step, I unplugged the power and plugged back in the ethernet cable and the power cable and let it boot up again.  I waited a while and picked up the phone and confirmed it was assigned an IP address (***1). I then went back to the OBiTALK dashboard, clicked "add device", and followed the **5 procedure.  It was not successful. 

This time around nothing was added so there was no "Click here for more information" or a Green status light.  The **9 222 222 222 test did work so I was able to get out to the Obi server. 

Just to make sure I logged out of the Obitalk Dashboard and even used a different browser.  To make double sure I performed the factory default restore (***8, then 1) and went through the whole process a second time.  It still did not work.  What should I try next?

SteveInWA

Good job documenting your steps!

At this point, it looks like your device's OBi number (the 9-digit number) or its MAC address are still in the OBiTALK system from some previous attempt to use it.  Did you buy this from an authorized retailer, such as Amazon, Newegg, or B&H Photo?  Or was it from eBay or Craigslist or somebody who gave it to you?  It may have been previously registered to some other user account.

I don't know if Poly support will help you, given the device's age, but you can send them a support ticket with the device's OBi number and MAC address, tell them that the portal won't accept it, and ask if they can fix that for you.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/support/request-support

SteveInWA

Oh, and if you do submit a support request, you can add a link to this discussion, and/or tell them what you already tried, so they don't waste your time doing the ordinary troubleshooting steps.

cborjon

I figured it out. 

This Obi200 is "new" previously unused device purchased from Newegg a few years back but never installed.   

This morning I gave it one more try and started the whole process from the beginning, including making sure my LAN was setup to handle the Obi200 device.  The last part about the LAN was key.   

Attached to my LAN is a Circle device that I use to regulate the internet usage of my children.  I originally set the Obi200 to be unmanaged by the Circle, but for some reason it did not stick.   The fact that I could do the **9 222 222 222 test call, gave me the false belief that it could not possibly be a router/LAN issue on my side. 

However, this morning I went and looked at the Circle, and it showed the Obi200 was being filtered.  Adding the Obi200 to the unmanaged device list and making sure it stayed there, fixed the problem, and the **5 procedure worked like a charm.

Thanks for the help. 

SteveInWA

Sheesh.  Glad you figured it out.