News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New to OBi. Problems with Google Voice App, and forwarding cell phones.

Started by mfdesign715, April 06, 2020, 03:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfdesign715

Hey,
This is my first post.  Please don't beat up on me too badly.  Just looking to see if anyone has had this issue and if they have been able to solve it.  I've been searching through forums all day with no luck.

1.) Got myself a Google Voice number and have verified it works.
2.) Downloaded Google Voice App on my Note 10+ (Personal) and Note 10 (Work) phones. I set them both up under the same Google Voice #.
3.) Ordered my Obi200.  Got that setup and hooked to my Google Voice account.  Works like a charm.

THE WHOLE REASON I DID THIS IS BECAUSE I HAVE HORRIBLE CELL SERVICE @ MY HOUSE.....

4.) Google voice works with the OBi200.  I tested it using a cell phone.
5.) Forwarded both my cell phones to my Google Voice # so I wouldn't miss a call or have cut in/cut out service while on a call. 
6.) Tried calling one cell phone from the other cell phone to see if it would ring the Google Voice #.... Big fail.  Sends me right to my Google Voice VM. 

What am I doing wrong or is this system incapable of performing what I want to happen?  I would like to have Google Voice with my GV # on my Obi200, Note 10+, and Note 10 so I can change devices if I need to leave the house. 

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

SteveInWA

Quote from: mfdesign715 on April 06, 2020, 03:03:36 PM

5.) Forwarded both my cell phones to my Google Voice # so I wouldn't miss a call or have cut in/cut out service while on a call. 
6.) Tried calling one cell phone from the other cell phone to see if it would ring the Google Voice #.... Big fail.  Sends me right to my Google Voice VM. 

Welcome to Google Voice...  The likely reason for your problem is with steps 5 and 6 above, but your use of the term "Forwarded" is ambiguous.

There are two types of call forwarding: 

• Immediate" or "Unconditional" call forwarding -- when a phone number is programmed to forward all calls to some other phone number, it will never be able to answer calls.  Instead, when someone calls that number, the number will either not ring at all, or ring once, to remind you that it's being forwarded.  The forwarding target number will get the call.
  • "Conditional call forwarding" -- when a phone number is programmed to send only busy or unanswered/unavailable calls to some other phone number.

If you programmed your mobile number(s) to unconditionally forward calls to your Google Voice number, then you created a call-forwarding loop, which won't work.  Disable that, and instead, program your mobile phone number(s) to use Conditional Call Forwarding instead.  After doing this, when someone calls either of the mobile numbers, and you don't answer or the line is busy or turned off, their call will be forwarded to your Google Voice voicemail.

mfdesign715

So I've been doing it right through the My Verizon app.  I believe at that point it is a *72.  I believe that is CCF.  The only other option i've seen online is UCF like you mentioned and I believe that is *71. I've been using the CCF. 

SteveInWA