News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice confused about account after split of my corporate and personal Goo

Started by degeldeg, October 12, 2011, 06:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

degeldeg

I've just purchased an OBi110 and have tried to set it up with my Google Voice account.

The problem is that my GV account is a bit scrambled, because of the recent Google separation of personal and organizational accounts, across all the Google services.

Details:

I have a Google Voice account which began on my personal Google account (email address, let's say, me@mycorp.com).
I also had an organization Google account, with the same email address.

Recently, when Google Accounts forced a split between the two accounts, the personal account became me-too@gmail.com and the organization account remained me@mycorp.com.   (Obviously, I'm using fictitious emails here, as spam protection, rather than my actual email accounts).

Google Voice seems to be in a mixed situation.

- The Google Voice account is on me-too@gmail.com (The me@mycorp.com account does not support Google Voice)
- The Google Voice is tied to Google Chat account me@mycorp.com (in Settings | Phone)
- The Google Voice forwards texts only to me@mycorp.com (in Settings | Voicemail and text)

I'd obviously like to fix this confusion in general, and have posted a query on Google's forum too.
But, my more immediate problem is using the OBi in this situation. Because incoming GV calls are routing to the wrong Google Chat account, I can't receive incoming calls to the Obi.

So, where/how can I fix my GV account so it knows, in all places, that it is tied to the same Google account?
Or, if this is not possible, can I configure the Obi to do a different login for incoming and outgoing calls?

Thanks,
David

QBZappy

degeldeg,

Can you avoid the problem completely by getting a new gmail account? I've read some people on this forum mentioning for security reasons they have setup a new gmail acct. In your case it might simplify your OBi setup as well.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

degeldeg

I'd rather not. I like the number that I have on this account, and would rather use it for this purpose. Also, I'm currently outside the US, so setting up a new account is a bit of a pain.

So, unless I have no choice, I'd really like to get the current account working correctly.