News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two Obis together?

Started by ScottK, October 12, 2011, 12:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottK

Hey folks.

Last week I installed my new Obi110 to replace our discontinued landline at home.  I was all set to have to do some serious configuration when, lo, it worked beautifully with minimal configuration.

We're using this in conjunction with GV to replace our home phone.  I got a callCentric pay-per-call account to provide 911 access (which also worked when tested,) so I'm set for our home phone.

Now.  I'd like to do a similar thing with my business line.  I'm using the second virtual SP port on my current Obi110 for 911 so I don't think I have the capability to add my business GV account to my little Obi.

However, given the reported flexibility of the extra phone port, I got to thinking....  Could I buy another Obi110 and connect them together via the phone ports (phone/FXS port on the new one, plugged directly into the PTSN/FXO port on my current one) and route my business GV (voice and fax) to the new one and have the whole shebang work on my existing phones that are connected to the phone/FXS port on my current Obi110?

I'm sure this is pushing the envelope but I'm curious if there is a reason it wouldn't work....?

Thanks in advance!

Scott.

earthtoobi

you are currently using callcentric just for 911.
can you configure callcentric as a Voice gateway and point 911 to voice gateway(911:vg1).you might want to check though if callcentric expects your device to be registered for 911 calls.
if you dont have to register, then you can use a voice gateway for callcentric and business GV on the other SP trunk in home Obi.that way you don't have to buy another device just to satisfy 911 purpose.

RonR

You cannot have two Google Voice accounts on one OBi and also use a SIP provider on a Voice Gateway.  To use one or more SIP providers on Voice Gateways, you must have SP1 and/or SP2 configured for SIP.

earthtoobi

you are right ron. just realized that.

RonR

Quote from: ScottK on October 12, 2011, 12:03:12 PM
Could I buy another Obi110 and connect them together via the phone ports (phone/FXS port on the new one, plugged directly into the PTSN/FXO port on my current one) and route my business GV (voice and fax) to the new one and have the whole shebang work on my existing phones that are connected to the phone/FXS port on my current Obi110?

While your method would prbably work, the OBi has support for redirecting/forwarding calls and simultaneously ringing multiple OBi PHONE Port's that would probably work out better.

I would suggest you think about the business line OBi as having its own telephone connected to its PHONE Port with the ability to simultaneously ring the home line OBi and vice versa.  Then when you originate calls from the home OBi, they will go out the home line by default without having to dial a prefix.  Likewise, calls originated from your business OBi will go out the business line without having to dial a prefix.  Using a prefix, either phone can access the alternate line.

If you spend some time figuring out how you really want things to work and describe it to me, I can probably come up with a configuration to accomplish it.

Stewart

Quote from: ScottK on October 12, 2011, 12:03:12 PM... I don't think I have the capability to add my business GV account to my little Obi.
Sorry for not directly addressing your issue, but IMHO it's penny wise and pound foolish to trust GV (or any free service) for a business line.  There is essentially no support.  If it stops working, who you gonna call?

Callcentric would be an excellent choice for your business number.  If inbound usage is low, take a look at Anveo's Value numbers.  If desired, the OBi makes it easy to use different providers for incoming and outgoing; if you don't care about the caller ID, you could even call on your home GV service.

jimates

You can daisy chain the Obi's together and all calls will ring the home phones. To access the second Obi from any phone press the # key, this will connect you directly to the second Obi for placing calls.

I had 3 Obi's successfully daisy chained together at one time.