News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi200 GV dialtone with static

Started by tgus2035, April 19, 2020, 01:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgus2035

I've been using an obi200 with GV and Anevo 911 for a few years now with no major issues. A few weeks ago, our house phone stopped working. When plugging a single phone into the obi200 , I got a very weak dialtone with lots of static. I could make the test call successfully from the local phone. Calls into the phone would not ring - but I could pick them up and they would sometimes answer and connect.

I tried the following:
  - Adding opened port in router to OBI. (I have OpenWrt on a Linksys router)
  - Tried different power supply
  - Tried different internet cable
  - Tried different phone cord
  - Tried updating firmware, resetting device, and resetting it up

I ordered a new Obi200 from Amazon thinking maybe my hardware went bad. When I received it and plugged it in - I got the same dialtone with static so I never set it up and plan to return it. Could my ISP (Spectrum in NY) be blocking/limiting traffic? Can I speed check the connection to Obitalk?

Any advice / things to try would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance...

drgeoff

Dialtone is generated by the OBi.  Even without a connection to the router.  Prove that for yourself by unplugging the ethernet cable.  Take the phone off-hook and listen to the dialtone.  I expect the static will still be there.  That means the problem is the OBi, the phone or the cord.  It didn't go away when you tried another OBi.  It didn't go away when you tried another cord.  Do you need another hint what to try next?

tgus2035

My issue is solved. :)

I actually had two problems. I had a bad cord on my main upstairs phone. It is a cordless base unit and tougher to move. For testing - I have an older simpler wired phone which I keep down in my basement next to where the Obi is located by my router. It turns out I also had a bad test phone.

I did not realize the Obi would generate a dialtone even without being connected to the network. After you mentioned that, I brought the Obi upstairs to my cordless base unit and plugged it into that with a different cord where I then got a clean dialtone.

My phones are now working again and I'm going to order a new "test" phone for the future.

Thanks for the help!