News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi1022 There is no call route available to complete your call

Started by M_Needs_Help, April 22, 2020, 03:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M_Needs_Help

Hello. I am new to VoIP phones. This is my first one ever.

While I am a fairly technical person and a technology professional career-wise, I know very little about phone setups or VoIP.

I am leasing an office at a co-working space, and I'm trying set up my new OBi1022 phone by plugging it directly in via ethernet cable. My computer does not have an extra ethernet port.

When I do a test call using **9 222 222 222, I have no issues performing the echo exercise.

However, when I attempt to call out to setup my Google Voice number (i.e. **5 ####), I get this message spoken back to me: "There is no call route available to complete your call".

Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. ??? Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated! ;D

Here's my "Product Info":
- Model - OBi1022
- Serial Number - 88M01NA008KP
- Software Version - 5.0.6 (Build 4176.1311)
- Hardware Version - 1.1
- Customization Status - Contacting Sever: Can't
- Up Time - (a few hours)

Here's what I know from looking at my phone's "Settings" menu:

Network (a valid IP address appears, 172.XX.XX.XXX)
- SW Port Status - Link: Y; Spd: 100F; Auto: Y; LP Ability:ACK|100F|100H|10F|10H
- SW Port Speed Setting - (blank)
- PC Port Status - Link:N; Auto:Y
- PC Port Speed Setting - (blank)
- Ethernet Stats - P/E:Rx=17900/0; Tx=4228/0
- Addressing Type - DHCP
- IP Address - (blank)
- Subnet Mask - (blank)
- Default Gateway - (blank)
- DNS Server 1 - (blank)
- DNS Server 2 - (blank)
- DNS Query Order - DNS Server 1, DNS Server 2, DHCP Offered DNS Servers
- DNS Query Delay - 2
- PPPoE AC Name - (blank)
- PPPoE Service Name - (blank)
- PPPoE User Name - (blank)
- PPPoE Password - (blank)
- VLAN Enable - Disabled
- VLAN ID - 0
- VLAN Priority - 0
- 802.1X - Disable
- 802.1X User Name - (blank)
- 802.1X Password - (blank)
- 802.1X CA Certificate - ${USERDIR}/certs/ca.pem
- 802.1X Client Certificate - ${USERDIR}/certs/client.pem
- LLDP-MED Enable - Disabled
- NTP Server 1 - pool.ntp.org
- NTP Server 2 - (blank)
- Local Time Zone - GMT-08:00(Pacific Time)
- Daylight Saving Time Enable - Enabled
- Daylight Saving Time Start - 3/8/7/2
- Daylight Saving Time End - 11/1/7/2
- Daylight Saving Time Diff - 1
- VPN Client Status - Disabled

Voice Services
- SP1 - Down, ITSP Profile A
- SP2 - Not Configured
- SP3 - Not Configured
- SP4 - Not Configured
- SP5 - Not Configured
- SP6 - Not Configured
- ITSP Profile A - SIP:ZT-IPDIALING
- ITSP Profile B - SIP:
- ITSP Profile C - SIP:
- ITSP Profile D - SIP:
- ITSP Profile E - SIP:
- ITSP Profile F - SIP:

Device Administration
- Web Server Port - 80
- Web Admin Password - *****
- Web User Password - *****
- Syslog Server - (blank)
- ITSP Provisioning Method - System Start
- ITSP Provisioning Interval - 0
- ITSP Provisioning Config URL - tftp://$dhcpopt66/$DM.xml;$DHCPOPT66;
- Auto Firmware Update Method- Disabled
- Auto Firmware Update Interval - 0
- Auto Firmware Update URL - (blank)

drgeoff

Hmm, puzzling!

Obviously you haven't been able to get far into the setup so a reset isn't going to set you back very much.  Try one.  https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/obi-ip-phone/phn-factory-reset

M_Needs_Help

Haha. Will do. Also, I should point out that I am able to access my phone via web browser.

For example, If I type the following into a web browser (with the real IP address), I can reach my phone:

http://172.xx.xx.xxx/

Not sure what to do with this site, but I guess it proves my phone is connected to the internet?

drgeoff

Quote from: M_Needs_Help on April 22, 2020, 03:38:07 PM
Haha. Will do. Also, I should point out that I am able to access my phone via web browser.

For example, If I type the following into a web browser (with the real IP address), I can reach my phone:

http://172.xx.xx.xxx/

Not sure what to do with this site, but I guess it proves my phone is connected to the internet?
No.  It proves the phone is connected to the same network as the web browser.  Successfully reaching the echo test number is proof that there is at least some semblance of a connection to the public internet.

M_Needs_Help

Okay. I did a factory reset, then I tried the test call again, which worked.

However, when I tried the "Add Device" protocol (i.e. **5 ####), I get the same message: "There is no call route available to complete your call".

I can still access my phone from the IP address as a URL. Though, it seems like you are saying that doesn't matter. And, to prove your point, I tried that URL from my cell phone which is not connected to WiFi. And, my cell phone cannot connect to that URL at all.

There is one other thing I would note: In the upper right corner of the phone's display screen is a red triangle with an exclamation point inside of it. There is also a number, 1, immediately to the right of this ominous warning triangle.

Perhaps there is an error message somewhere I can access related to that red triangle?

Lavarock7

Not a network guru but most times I have encountered a 172 network, it was because I was not being vended an IP address from the real network and it was being supplied via the equipment.

I believe the OBI reports "IP ADDRESS NOT AVAILABLE" in that case when you access the device via the phone and check the IP address.

Look to see what IP address the computer has. Also, try unplugging the computer and use that wire on the Obi to see if you can get connected.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

drgeoff

Quote from: M_Needs_Help on April 22, 2020, 03:49:41 PM
Okay. I did a factory reset, then I tried the test call again, which worked.

However, when I tried the "Add Device" protocol (i.e. **5 ####), I get the same message: "There is no call route available to complete your call".

I can still access my phone from the IP address as a URL. Though, it seems like you are saying that doesn't matter. And, to prove your point, I tried that URL from my cell phone which is not connected to WiFi. And, my cell phone cannot connect to that URL at all.

There is one other thing I would note: In the upper right corner of the phone's display screen is a red triangle with an exclamation point inside of it. There is also a number, 1, immediately to the right of this ominous warning triangle.

Perhaps there is an error message somewhere I can access related to that red triangle?
If the internet address is in the range 172.16.0.0 to 172.3.255.255 that is only for use on private networks and is not routeable over the public internet.  There will be a NAT router between the phone and the public internet.  Usually that is not a problem unless it has been configured to block certain ports.

What is the history of the phone?  Did you obtain it new, retail from Amazon or other approved supplier? Or have you obtained it from some other source?

drgeoff

Quote from: Lavarock7 on April 22, 2020, 04:02:07 PM
Not a network guru but most times I have encountered a 172 network, it was because I was not being vended an IP address from the real network and it was being supplied via the equipment.
No, as per my post above some 172.x.x.x addresses are validly handed out by DHCP servers on LANs.  You may be thinking of 169.254.x.x addresses which some devices assign to themselves if they request a DHCP address but fail to receive one.

M_Needs_Help

Quote from: drgeoff on April 22, 2020, 04:10:40 PM
What is the history of the phone?  Did you obtain it new, retail from Amazon or other approved supplier? Or have you obtained it from some other source?

I obtained the phone new, retail from Amazon after reading a bunch of great reviews for it:
https://www.amazon.com/Obihai-OBi1022-Phone-Power-Supply/dp/B00TEJOYYQ/

drgeoff

Quote from: M_Needs_Help on April 22, 2020, 03:49:41 PM

There is one other thing I would note: In the upper right corner of the phone's display screen is a red triangle with an exclamation point inside of it.
Page 25 of https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBi1000-IP-Phones-User-Guide.pdf.

Is that "The OBi has not been properly provisioned" icon the one you see top right?  If yes, I suspect that the 1022 you have is not a new retail 1022.

M_Needs_Help

Yes, page 25 that's the icon, "The OBi has not been properly provisioned." What does it mean?

Everything was all in plastic shrink wrap and everything, so that's pretty confusing.

Any advice on what to do next? Thank so much for your help thus far!

SteveInWA

This looks like a network issue to me.  I think that you viewed the phone's settings on its own LCD screen (GUI), and not on its embedded web server, right?  What happens when you use your web browser and go to the 172. address?  Does it prompt you for a login?  If so, enter "admin" for the username and password.  Does that work?  If so, look at the status section and scroll down.  What is the "OBiTALK Service Status"?

Can you take the phone home or some other residential ISP connection and try it there?  Just a SWAG, but perhaps that co-working office has some firewall restrictions that are blocking necessary ports.

If all else fails, it's new, so you can open a service ticket with Poly support.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/support/request-support

drgeoff

I have never encountered that icon before.

I agree that it could be instructive to try the OBiphone on another network such as by plugging it in to your home router.

I have confirmed that my 1032 booted without a network connection does not show that icon.

A retail 1022 after reset to defaults should not be attempting to provision itself.

Can you clarify what you meant by "from Amazon".  There is a difference between sold by Amazon and sold by a 3rd party seller on the Amazon platform.  The former ought to be a unit intended for retail sale.  The latter are sometimes units which were originally intended for supply to corporates or VoIP service providers and have been "customised" in some manner.  A factory reset on those does not undo that.

Polycom support probably have the means from the serial number or OBi number to know the history of the device.