News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID name not showing for incoming calls

Started by wyt168, October 12, 2011, 08:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyt168

I switched my landline number from Comcast to Google Voice and got an Obi110 to connect to GV. I still use my existing phone with the Obi box. However I noticed that after the switching, the caller ID name is not showing for incoming calls on my phone anymore. My phone, which now connects to my Obi box, can keep a call history of about 50 calls. So the first half of the call history (when I was with Comcast) lists both the caller id name and number, but the second half of the call history (using the Obi box) only shows the caller id number.
Is there a setting I should set to enable the caller id name?

QBZappy

wyt168,

CNAM lookup is usually a paid service in the USA. Google voice doesn't provide for this. That seems to be one of the big short comings of GV. Other voip Service providers offer this value added service. You will certainly miss that feature.

A workaround is to use a phone that you can save incoming calls and associate a name to that number. Every time that person calls their name should show on the screen. Too much trouble to setup a private CNAM database on your phone if you ask me.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

lhm.

Another option is to have inbound as GV>IPKall>Sipsorcery>Obi using the WhitePages API in Sipsorcery. Free accounts are available from Sipsorcery. Works for me.

QBZappy

lhm.,

Hi, any reason why IPKall is in the loop?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Quote from: QBZappy on October 13, 2011, 09:51:46 AM
any reason why IPKall is in the loop?

Sip Sorcery requires the use of a SIP DID for its interface to Google Voice.

wyt168

Quote from: QBZappy on October 13, 2011, 09:51:46 AM
lhm.,

Hi, any reason why IPKall is in the loop?

That's my question too. Also how good/reliable is Sipsorcery? It's a name mentioned a lot in various SIP forums. I previous had SIPgate, but the experience was not that great. So far, my current set-up of GV->Obi has been flawless, except for this feature (or lack of). I would hate to go through another loop and ended up with less quality or/and more hassle.