News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI-100 Voice Gateway AccessNumber Syntax Bug

Started by JaskHill, May 09, 2020, 12:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaskHill

Hi,

According to this link,

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8984.0

I can make outgoing calls, without registration, by using an OBI-100 voice gateway, by supplying the gateway AccessNumber text field with syntax similar to the following, while leaving the AuthUserID & AuthPassword text fields empty.

SP1(toronto.voip.ms;ui=My_voip.ms_user_ID:My_voip.ms_password)

But I found it is not working. If my password is a bit long, and/or the number I dial is a long international phone number, OBI-100 will do some strange unexpected truncation, and causes the call to fail.

Is anyone experiencing this issue too?

Thanks,

zapattack

Have you specified a long enough string in correct format in Digit Map?
SP1 map not used...

JaskHill

I did not touch the "DigitMap" field in the Voice Gateway page. I leave it as default, like:
        DigitMap = (xx.)

What I mean is that, according to the manual, the basic way to config a voice gateay is like:
        AccessNumber: SP1(toronto.voip.ms)
        AuthUserID:     My_voip.ms_user_name
        AuthPassword:  My_voip.ms_password

But according to that URL from my post above, there is a new way to config a voice gateay, like:
        AccessNumber: SP1(toronto.voip.ms;ui=My_voip.ms_user_name:My_voip.ms_password)
        AuthUserID:    ( Leave empty )
        AuthPassword: ( Leave empty )

But I found this new way is not working. If proxy server address is too long, or if the user name is too long, or if the password is too long, or if the phone number dialed is too long, etc, the call will fail, because OBI-100 will do some strange truncation in such situation.

Taoman

Quote from: JaskHill on May 10, 2020, 06:10:42 AM

But I found this new way is not working. If proxy server address is too long, or if the user name is too long, or if the password is too long, or if the phone number dialed is too long, etc, the call will fail, because OBI-100 will do some strange truncation in such situation.

I just tried it with Localphone and the syntax you are using worked fine for me. But then I didn't use a long password nor call an international number.

I'm curious why you're using this method? It's definitely not "new." That capability was added to the firmware back in 2014. You've got the AuthUserID and AuthPassword fields right there ready to fill in. Why not use them and avoid the problems you are running into?

I've only ever used that syntax in the past for Speed Dials.

JaskHill

This new feature is mentioned in the release notes. So I assume it is the recommended way to do things, over the original way from the user manual.

Otherwise why would Obihai bother implementing this feature and specifically mentioning it in the release notes?

Taoman

Quote from: JaskHill on May 10, 2020, 10:02:09 AM
So I assume it is the recommended way to do things, over the original way from the user manual.

Possibly, but I doubt it. I'd be surprised if there's anyone reading this forum who also uses Voice Gateways that configures their VGs in the same way you are doing it.

If memory serves, I think I remember playing around with that string syntax using Speed Dials and I ended up with a long ass string for something I was trying. The result got truncated as you are experiencing. My guess is there is a character limit that you are bumping up against.

Do International calls work ok thru VoIP.ms using a VG when just using the provided AuthUserID and AuthPassword fields? As I'm sure you're aware, VoIP.ms implemented new Caller ID regulations as of 1-1-2020.
QuoteIn line with all the recent rulings in favor of protecting and empowering consumers, VoIP.ms will start enforcing valid Caller IDs as per the NANPA and ITU-T E.164 standards as of January 1st, 2020.
Therefore, calls displaying the following Caller ID information will be blocked by our platform:

1.International calls with Caller ID containing less than 7 digits and greater than 15 digits;

If you are passing your Caller ID from VoIP.ms customer portal, please review your Caller ID number to make sure it complies with these standards.

zapattack

Quote from: JaskHill on May 10, 2020, 10:02:09 AM
This new feature is mentioned in the release notes. So I assume it is the recommended way to do things, over the original way from the user manual.

It is under the heading Enhancements, which means another, optional way.
It does not say recommended, preferred, or supersedes the existing method.

arko12

Have you specified a long enough string in correct format in Digit Map?
SP1 map not used