News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multi-line phone support?

Started by wellspring, May 14, 2020, 12:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wellspring

I want to be sure I'm understanding all the relevant requirements before investing in the necessary gear and seeking out the appropriate provider.

If I have an existing traditional (not IP) multi-line phone, can I run multiple phone lines to it from an Obi 504 (or similar), port my existing landlines to a VOIP service such as Anveo or Google Voice, then continue to use those lines concurrently (three phone lines in simultaneous use)?

By the way, if you are curious, my reason for doing this is that this particular phone connects wirelessly to several desk phones, any of which can be used with the three landlines currently connected to the wired base phone.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer on this set-up.

ProfTech

I have no information on the 504 at all. However you can definitely use a multi-line phone with an Obi device. Take the Obi 202 for example. It has 2 FXS [phone] ports. Nothing to stop you from connecting port 1 of the Obi to port 1 of the phone and port 2 of the Obi to port 2 on the phone. And yes you can talk on or answer two calls at once [as long as 1 call is on phone set 1 and the other call is on phone set 2].

drgeoff

Quote from: wellspring on May 14, 2020, 12:01:16 PM
If I have an existing traditional (not IP) multi-line phone, can I run multiple phone lines to it from an Obi 504 (or similar), port my existing landlines to a VOIP service such as Anveo or Google Voice, then continue to use those lines concurrently (three phone lines in simultaneous use)?

Yes.

wellspring

Thanks, y'all! Just wanted to make doubly sure I was understanding the documentation correctly.

SteveInWA

Additionally:

Don't buy a 504/508, expecting to use it with Google Voice.  It no longer works.  If you need multiple lines/phone numbers, the better, forward-looking solution is to abandon analog technology, and simply buy as many IP phones as you need, and provision those phones with a cloud-based VoIP service provider.