News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Best router to use? Ups?

Started by newtothescene, October 13, 2011, 10:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newtothescene

I'm switching from skype since my computer often freezes. Will i have this problem with Obi?
My question is......what would be the best router on a budget?
-I have a microcenter by me that has good prices but no store credit.
-I have $100 in credit at best buy
-I have $50 credit at staples
Any of these stores have good budget routers?
Will i need a Ups (power backup)? Will a $50 ups have enough backup?
I have time warner cable highspeed lite. Do need to list my modem type to figure the best router?
How is the 100 different then the 110?

My other option is the net-talk. I'm not longer as tech savoy as i was 10 years ago. Can a born again novice manage to use Obi as his main phone line?

pc44

Quote from: newtothescene on October 13, 2011, 10:59:20 AM
I'm switching from skype since my computer often freezes. Will i have this problem with Obi?
My question is......what would be the best router on a budget?
-I have a microcenter by me that has good prices but no store credit.
-I have $100 in credit at best buy
-I have $50 credit at staples
Any of these stores have good budget routers?
Will i need a Ups (power backup)? Will a $50 ups have enough backup?
I have time warner cable highspeed lite. Do need to list my modem type to figure the best router?
How is the 100 different then the 110?

My other option is the net-talk. I'm not longer as tech savoy as i was 10 years ago. Can a born again novice manage to use Obi as his main phone line?

A few people on the forum have mentioned the D-Link DIR-655 as well as a few other D-Links.  This thread seems to say that the DIR-655 is on Obi's recommended router list: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=33.msg6232#msg6232

Both Best Buy and Staples should have the DIR-655.  If not in stock in their store, they should both definitely have it available online.  Last I checked, this router averages around $70, but I have seen it on sale for less.

I don't think you would need a UPS unless you experience frequent power outages in your area.  If so, any of the basic UPS systems from $40 and up should be sufficient power for your Obi, Router, and Modem, as these devices use a fraction of the power used by a desktop computer system, to my knowledge.  I do not believe you need to list your modem in order to pick out a router.

The differences between the Obi100 and Obi110 can be seen here: http://www.obihai.com/matrix.html

Yes, you can use this as your primary line.  Some have had great success here.  Others, like myself, experience lots of one-way audio problems on a regular basis.  Rebooting the Obi resolves this every time.

Hope it helps,
pc44

newtothescene

I'm getting a    Cisco Linksys-Factory-Refurbished EtherFast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router-BEFSR41-RM
SKU: 9657093 @ bestbuy. I'm not a fan of wireless or trying to avoid someone else creeping on my signal/stealing bandwith, if that makes any sense.

How does the net-talk compare to the Obi100 with g/v?
Is the net-talk box (ata) the same as the Obi?
So, if the power goes out, i don't have to reset anything and the system will reboot?   The power goes out from time to time.