News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi312 - possible to get calls from SPn to ring phones connected to Line jacks?

Started by SaltLakeDude, May 19, 2020, 12:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaltLakeDude

I have a question about the Obi312, a device which not too many people seem to have. To reduce our costs, especially in this time, I started looking into some kind of VOIP to get rid of our expensive Century Link landline. Initially I looked at Comcast but then decided it would be better to have something more in my control. I looked at Vonage, Ooma and then this solution of an Obi device paired with a service like voip.ms. Part of the cost cutting involves continuing to use our hodgepodge of phones and the inside house wiring and jacks (as opposed to buying a new wireless system). Of course I read about how you can use the house wiring and plug the device phone port into the house wiring jack but you have to disconnect the service from the outside box first. Not knowing much about this technology and reading how the Obi312 has a Line port which can be used to plug directly into the house jack without frying the device, I got that one thinking or hoping that once CL is disconnected, I can leave it that way and an incoming call from a number I get at (or port to) voip.ms will ring all the phones attached to jacks.

I hooked up the device, got the voip.ms service and connected a standalone phone to the Obi312 and learned (in a beginning to intermediate way) how to configure the device and services. I read a lot of posts in this group (which is great that it's here)!

So right now, I have CL still on the PSTN line and plugged from a house jack into the Line port of the Obi312. Then there is the standalone phone plugged into the Phone port.
I changed SP1 to be the primary line instead of PSTN. I can send and receive voice calls on voip.ms. On incoming SP1 calls only the phone connected to the device rings. When the PSTN line gets an incoming call the phone connected to the device rings in addition to the house phones.

Here is my issue and problem. I want to see if I can get all the phones connected to jacks to ring when a call comes in from SP1. I tried changing these two variables from "ph" to "li" or "li1" both one at a time and then together to see if that would work:
   Voice Services - SP1 Service - X_InboundCallRoute setting for SP1
   Physical Interfaces - LINE Port - InboundCallRoute
When I placed a call from my cell to the SP1 DID number, the call did not connect, got an error message saying the call could not be completed.

Does anyone know if there is any way to get this to work?

Or I am wondering if the device is just not physically built to do that.
In which case, once I cancel CL, I will have to disconnect the outside box from the house wiring, and then plug a line from the jack into the Phone port of the Obi312 to get it to ring the phones connected to jacks in the house. Thanks for any help or advice!

drgeoff

No, what you ask is not possible.  Only phones plugged in to the PHONE jack (directly or via house wiring) on an OBi110, Obi212 or OBi312 can make or receive calls that pass through those OBis.  The LINE jack cannot communicate in any manner with a phone plugged in to it. The last paragraph in your post is indeed your way ahead if you don't move to a DECT base station and handsets.

Please use the "Remove" button to delete all the extra copies of your post.

SaltLakeDude

Ok thanks.

I don't know how all the other copies of the post were created.
I mentioned i had gotten errors when trying to post and then tried again.

Ran into problems sending Mail. Error: 535 5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials j5sm235805pfa.37 - gsmtp

I see this has happened to at least one other person with multiple copies of their post.

azrobert

I never used VOIP.ms, but it looks like it can do what you want. They support Rings Groups that includes forwarding. Define a Ring Group to ring the Obi phone and to forward to your landline number. There might be charge for the forward.

https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Ring_Groups

https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Call_Forwarding