News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Reconnection Does Not Work

Started by LostInJersey, May 21, 2020, 07:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInJersey

After an abrupt relocation where all my equipment was in storage, finally after four months I have a new Internet connection.  However, my VOIP phone is not making calls.  The adapter is the OBi202.  Behind it is the USB Wifi wizard.  I am growing suspicious that there might be something major wrong.  On my Windows 7 computer, which I do not plan to keep for very long, in Control Panel I do not think the device shows on the Nework Map.  How can we troubleshoot and get this working?  Thank you in advance.  Someone in CS wanted me to do a firmware update; but I purchased the device after the latest update shown for firmware.  Besides, it has to have an address to update it manually.  My settings may be off too; otherwise I could update the firmware automatically.

drgeoff

Unplug the Wi-Fi dongle.  Use an ethernet cable between OBi and router.  When you have it working to your satisfaction then try to get it working using Wi-Fi instead of ethernet.

LostInJersey

Thanks for responding, drgeoff; but I don't get this.  I have both phone, a Grandstream GXP1625 and the OBi202 plugged into the router with Ethernet cables; and it doesn't work.  Should I plug that phone into something else?  That phone does not require the traditional, thin phone cords.  Thanks again.  I am giving my Windows 7 a restart after this post.  You would think that all this equipment would make the same connections.  Does the router require some kind of permission?  We have to cover all the bases.

SteveInWA

Geoff mentioned bypassing WiFi because of your comment "Behind it is the USB Wifi wizard".  So, what do you mean by that?  What is a "USB WiFi wizard", specifically?

There are two ways to connect an OBi 200 series device to Internet service:  either via an Ethernet cable to your router/switch, or via an OBiWiFi5G USB adapter (the official product, not some generic dongle).  So, what are you using?

LostInJersey

"OBiWiFi5G USB adapter (the official product, not some generic dongle)"  It's been four months since I had anything to do with this; so I do not remember all these specific names.

SteveInWA

Well.... which of the two connection methods are you using?  If it's WiFi, then do what Geoff posted.  Remove the WiFi dongle and plug in an Ethernet cable, if only for troubleshooting purposes.  The WiFi dongles aren't that great, as far as range and signal strength goes.

LostInJersey

I just found a solution.  Your OBi test number gives me the message, "The number you have dialed is invalid.  Please check the number and try again" while the 933 test number goes through.  This is only a small apartment, too tight to have much of anything.  Underneath my phone I switched the Ethernet cable from PC to LAN.  That did it.  I don't know what else to do.  Both OBi202 and phone seem to work.  The phone rihgs and calls go through.  However, two lights at the extreme left are lit green.  The first one blinks.