News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Voice Cuts Out on Outgoing Calls

Started by GaryinFprum, June 02, 2020, 08:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryinFprum

People are complaining my voice is cutting out.  I can hear them fine.  I sent a voicemail to my cellphone and sure enough there is intermittent, brief cutting out of my voice.  I've tried experimenting with QOS settings in my router, which improved the issue somewhat but did not eliminate them.  I've tried switching out the Obi200 with a brand new one, connecting directly to the modem (bypassing the router), disabling SIP ALG in the router, switching from Google Voice to Callcentric numbers, checking cables, switching to a hard-wired phone etc.

I am beginning to think it may be my internet line quality.  I ran the Visualware assessment test (see attachment) and many of the test parameter look bad. 

Does anyone have any ideas on what can be my problem?

SteveInWA

Well, your guess is correct; your Internet service is causing the drop-outs.

Your only recourse is to report it to your service provider and try to get them to diagnose it.

GaryinFprum

Thanks Steve.

I called my ISP and they are going to check out my internet connection.

SteveInWA

Good luck!  Sadly, in most cases, they give you the BS answer, "no trouble found".  Is this a cable or DSL or fiber provider?

GaryinFprum

My internet connection is through WISP from a local ISP.  They've been pretty good at troubleshooting in the past.  I'll keep my fingers crossed!

GaryinFprum

Well, my current ISP said they were going to look at some settings and get back to me.   They never contacted me so I signed up for Spectrum as a test to see if it would clear up the problem with outgoing voice quality.

Sure enough, Spectrum fixed it!  So in my case it was my original internet connection that was the issue.

SteveInWA

I'm glad to hear it; thanks for reporting the outcome.