News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 and SIP phones

Started by alvi, June 02, 2020, 07:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alvi

Hi,

Semi-Beginner question:
I have an SIP phone (Polycom VVX410) on the same LAN as my Obi202.
I wonder how I could set them up so that the phone can access each line managed by the Obi.
In other words can the Obi be set to serve SIP phones or do I need to build my own PBX like an Asterisk box first?

I'm sure similar questions have been asked many times, but there are so many threads I don't know where to look.

Thanks,

alvi

Sheffield_Steve

The Obi202 is a SIP client. (Not a server). Functionally, it just turns one or two analogue phones into SIP phones.

You don't say who your phone service vendor is (or exactly what you are trying to do), but what you need can probably be configured on the SIP services website.

SteveInWA

The only reasons I can think of, to do that, would be if you are using consumer Google Voice, which isn't supported on the VVX phones, or if your SIP provider doesn't allow multiple registrations.  Otherwise, just set up your SIP credentials on the VVX phone itself.

And yes, there are a lot of very long threads dating back years on the problems people faced trying to do what you described.  I would not call it a "beginner" task to set up.

alvi

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 02, 2020, 03:15:38 PM
The only reasons I can think of, to do that, would be if you are using consumer Google Voice, which isn't supported on the VVX phones
Precisely, I'm using 2 x Google Voice (my wife and myself) in addition to a third line (which is not yet setup, but that's another story), so I have to go through the OBi one way or another. So far that's fine when using the conventional phones but if I want to use the VVX I'm stuck. Could you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot

SteveInWA

I haven't tried it myself, although it's on my eventual to-do list.

There are several previous discussions on this issue.  Here are two of them:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=17097

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13489