News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to create ringback tone when bridging a call. . .

Started by NHandSanDiegoObiUser, October 14, 2011, 04:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHandSanDiegoObiUser

I'm trying to use the bridging feature of the Obi 110 to forward calls from the doorphone (which is connected to the Line Port on the Obi 110) to my cell or another VoIP line.  I've got the bridging to work as intended, however, I'd like to give the person at the doorphone something to listen to (a ringback tone or a recorded message) while they're waiting for me to answer.  Does the Obi 110 allow me to cause a ringback tone to be generated while the bridged call is waiting to be answered?

Alternatively, with the latest firmware it appears that it allows for the recording of custom phrases.  Can those custom recordings be used in conjunction with call bridging, or are they strictly for the AA feature?

Thanks very much!

Jeff

Stewart

Quote from: NHandSanDiegoObiUser on October 14, 2011, 04:42:02 PM
I'm trying to use the bridging feature of the Obi 110 to forward calls from the doorphone (which is connected to the Line Port on the Obi 110) ...
What is make/model of this doorphone device?

What you're saying seems strange.  If connected to the OBi Line port (not the Phone port) and it's working, it must be presenting an FXS interface, i.e. instead of the OBi, the doorphone could be connected to a standard analog phone.  Is that correct?  In that case, until the analog phone is answered, any sound heard by the person at the door would have to be generated by the doorphone hardware/software -- there is no way for the called phone to put any sound on the line until it's taken off hook!  Likewise, the OBi normally doesn't "answer" the Line port until whatever it's bridging to is answered, so it can't provide any sort of call progress tone.

I suppose you could configure the OBi to answer immediately with the IVR, play a message and then bridge the call.

QBZappy

I've got the bridging to work as intended, however, I'd like to give the person at the doorphone something to listen to (a ringback tone or a recorded message) while they're waiting for me to answer.  Does the Obi 110 allow me to cause a ringback tone to be generated while the bridged call is waiting to be answered?

Are you using the the OBi as a "Hotline"? Then phone should ring when making the call. See example:

Admin Guide:
<:1234> – Matches an empty phone number and replaces with 1234. This is the syntax for a hotline to 1234
<S0:1234> – Equivalent to the last example
<:#> – Hotline to the number #
<S0:#> – Equivalent to the last example

Alternatively, with the latest firmware it appears that it allows for the recording of custom phrases.  Can those custom recordings be used in conjunction with call bridging, or are they strictly for the AA feature?

The customizable IVR recording of the AA option #2 is to make a new call. The OBi bridges the the call to a new number. AA option #3 is to "Callback" the number appearing in the CID. OBi bridges the "Callback" with the new call you are intending to make. I don't think it can be used in any other scenario.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

NHandSanDiegoObiUser

Stewart,

I'm using a Panasonic KX-T30865 Doorphone, which is connected to a Panasonic KX-TD308 phone system.  I've got an extension of the KX-TD308 connected into the Line Port on the Obi 110.  When someone presses the button on the doorphone, the extension that is connected to the Obi 110 rings and the Inbound Call Route forwards the call to a remote location or my cell.

Thanks,

Jeff

Stewart

One possible solution:

Get a free VoxOx account.  In the VoxOx app, go to Phone Setttings.  On the General tab, uncheck Personal Assistant, Call Screening, Present Incoming Call Options and Dead End.  On the My Phones tab, check Find Me and only one Call box, set up to call your mobile phone.  At this point, you should be able to set the OBi to bridge to your VoxOx number, instead of your mobile.  VoxOx will now play ringback tone to the caller, during the setup time to your mobile.

If desired, you can replace the ringback tone heard by the door caller with a spoken message, by recording or uploading it on the Ringback and Hold Music tab.

There will still be a considerable delay before the caller hears the message.  A big piece of that is the four second delay while the OBi waits for caller ID information on the Line port.  If that's not required (by any non-doorphone incoming uses of the Line port), set LINE Port->RingDelay to 0 in the OBi.

You can save a little more time by using iNum instead of the VoxOx PSTN number.  Get a free iNum at VoxOx.  If one of the service providers on your OBi does not charge for iNum calls (e.g. Callcentric, VoIP.ms), just use them to bridge the call.

Yet faster, a gateway to iNum directly, e.g. AccessNumber: SP2(sip.inum.net;ui=12125551212;op=ns) .  The SP1 or SP2 chosen must use SIP, and you must have a STUN server configured (however, you need not use STUN for SPx).  The caller ID will be spoofed with whatever you specify in the ui field and will display on your mobile phone, so you will know that the caller is at the door.