News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi200 and Google Voice: "Connect Failed: 403 Forbidden"

Started by EightOaks, June 11, 2020, 01:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EightOaks

We just started setting up the OBi200, and when I'm trying to connect to Google Voice, I get this error:

Connect Failed: 403 Forbidden

I finally got it to do something other than tell me "Registration not required", so what am I doing wrong?
I've reset it a few times, tried a different LAN cable. All tests work with the phone, it just won't connect the number to the phone.

Please help!

SteveInWA

You are probably not following the correct procedure.  The 403 error means that your login credentials were rejected (by Google).

Start over.  See my instructions, here:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

Of course, the instructions assume that a) you actually do have a consumer Gmail account, and a inbound Google Voice phone number, and b) you are authorizing your OBiTALK device to use THAT account, and not some other Gmail account.

EightOaks

I have run through that process multiple times, but I will do it again. Our company has a Gsuite account, and my email is connected to the phone number I'm trying to use in Google Voice.

I'll keep working on it.

drgeoff

Quote from: EightOaks on June 12, 2020, 06:37:19 AM
I have run through that process multiple times, but I will do it again. Our company has a Gsuite account, and my email is connected to the phone number I'm trying to use in Google Voice.

I'll keep working on it.
OBi devices do NOT support Gsuite accounts.

EightOaks

CamSpoT

Confirming this issue with my Google WorkSpace users:
I have 2 older accounts that were setup 2+ years ago and Obi phones (1032) still work great to this day on my paid for Google Voice Stater accounts.

Tried to add a new one recently and getting the 403 error.I tried Obi/Ploy support and they had me add firewall rules, forwarding all kinds of TPC and UDP ports and didnt get anywhere.

Tired calling google voice support and they had me upgrade from Google Voice Starter to Google Voice Standard that supports Desktop phones. Still did not help and they are "looking into it". https://support.google.com/a/answer/9229433?hl=en

I setup a free google account and added google voice and the phone worked right away.

I wish Obi had a way to use their devices on Google Workspace accounts.

drgeoff

Quote from: CamSpoT on June 16, 2021, 10:40:50 AM
I suspect that they don't is much more down to Google's wishes than Poly's.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on June 16, 2021, 10:58:59 AM
Quote from: CamSpoT on June 16, 2021, 10:40:50 AM
I suspect that they don't is much more down to Google's wishes than Poly's.

Google Voice for Google Workspace uses a different provisioning and authentication system for desk phones than the methods used by consumer Google Voice.

The only devices that currently work with Google Voice for Workspace are the Poly VVX 150, 250, 350 and 450 IP phones.  They are provisioned via the Google Workspace administrator console, not the OBiTALK portal.