News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Best alternative to Google Voice / Obi

Started by BigKetchup, June 16, 2020, 11:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigKetchup

I've enjoyed using Obi and Google Voice for about two years now but I can't tolerate having almost every caller telling that "I'm breaking up," random disconnects, can't hear them or can't hear me.  It's to the point where I wouldn't mind paying for a VoIP service if that's what it's going to take.  Can you recommend a different service that's more reliable?

drgeoff

Quote from: BigKetchup on June 16, 2020, 11:19:09 AM
I've enjoyed using Obi and Google Voice for about two years now but I can't tolerate having almost every caller telling that "I'm breaking up," random disconnects, can't hear them or can't hear me.  It's to the point where I wouldn't mind paying for a VoIP service if that's what it's going to take.  Can you recommend a different service that's more reliable?
Many instances of voice break up turn out to be caused by a poor or faulty internet connection.  If that applies to you, changing from Google Voice and/or an Obi device to alternatives will not effect a cure.

BigKetchup

Quote from: drgeoff on June 16, 2020, 03:23:27 PM
Many instances of voice break up turn out to be caused by a poor or faulty internet connection.  If that applies to you, changing from Google Voice and/or an Obi device to alternatives will not effect a cure.

I don't entirely agree with that.  I previously used Viatalk for 3-4 years prior and never had any of the same issues with them.  Mind you it didn't go completely without issues but it was a much better service otherwise, and I could always call support if needed.

Moonwalker

I totally agree with drgeoff. It's all about your ISP and Local network as much as it is the service. I personally have never had connection issues unless it's on the other end (the person I am calling is getting lousy service. Every call I make is solid as a rock, but I have high speed ISP. If that is what the problem is, changing your VOIP provider won't help one iota and would be an expensive mistake if you happen to be wrong. I wouldn't switch until I were 100% positive it's not the ISP.

JosephStacklin

If you have access to your router or modem, remember to turn of SIP ALG (or other similarly named features) as this will sometimes interfere with VOIP calls.

GlowingBlueMist

You might want to try a different Ethernet cable between your router and the Obi box.
Cables don't go bad too often but a partially defective cable can cause static and other problems, similar to a crappy internet feed.

A relative had similar problems but found that they went away when the Obi box was physically moved about 5 feet from the router, which had WiFi enabled.  Suspected interference from the WiFi and the Obi box is my guess.