News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ooma and mobile carrier HD Voice interop with Obi1000, Obi2000 series

Started by SeanTek, June 17, 2020, 08:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanTek

Hi, I am looking to get "HD Voice" interop between Ooma devices (HD3 handset and DP1 desk phone)--and mobile carriers such as Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, etc. with HD-capable Obi phones, such as the Obi1062. Can this even be done? How? Has anyone tried it?

I noticed that the new Obi2182 https://www.poly.com/us/en/products/phones/obi/obi2182 specifically advertises AMR-WB codec support. My understanding is that a lot of wireless carrier implementations use AMR-WB for "HD voice". (Obi1000 devices do not implement AMR-WB as far as I know.) Would it work?

drgeoff

A lot will depend on your ITSP - what codecs it supports and how it interconnects with the service provider of the callee.

If any part of the connection is via traditional telco trunks that is likely to be G.711 and there will be no end to end HD.

SeanTek

Right. Well on the non-Obi end, I have proposed Ooma or a well-known wireless carrier (Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, etc.) that is known to implement "HD Voice".

So what is needed for the Obi end to keep it HD?  ???