News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 with Google Voice - Receiving calls from non-OBi callers

Started by curlysue, October 15, 2011, 10:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curlysue

Hi,

I'm new to OBi, and while I have spent the last 2-1/2 hours reading about the OBi110 product, and watching a variety of tutorial videos, I remain uncertain regarding its ability to serve as a primary residential phone in the same manner as my OOMA Hub once did (until it crapped out yesterday, after 2 years of continuous use).

If I understand correctly, with an OBi110 configured with my existing Google Voice phone number, I can call any phone number in the U.S. (or Canada) whether they are in the OBiNetwork or not - meaning they do not have an OBi-device at their end of the phone call, and or they are NOT accessing the OBiNetwork through any OBi-related portal. 

With my existing broadband Internet connection, with its modem connected to the OBi110 and my analog phone connected to the OBi110, what about RECEIVING CALLS that dial my Google Voice phone number?  Will someone whom does not have an OBi-device (of any type, outside the OBiNetwork) be able to call my Google Voice number and my phone will ring and when I pick it up will I be able to talk with (meaning conversation) the individual whom called my Google Voice number?

I apologize for my ignorance here, but most everything I've read and watched talks about calling out, or connecting to others within the OBiNetwork, or connecting the OBi110 to an existing PSTN phone service. 

Either due to poor reading comprehension, or inability to fully understand what I have watched in the various tutorials, I have not found sufficient information that confirms the OBi110's ability to receive phone calls that dial my Google Voice number and that when connected to my broadband Internet service and my analog phone, that my phone will ring and I will be able to have a phone conversation - when the individual calling does not have a OBi-device or is calling outside of the OBi-Network.

With the OOMA Hub, I do not have an existing PSTN phone service (e.g. Qwest, Comcast Digial Voice, etc).  With the OOMA Hub connected to my broadband Internet service, via its modem, I was given an OOMA phone number that anyone on the planet could call and when my phone rang, I picked up the receiver and could have a conversation without interruption.  I recognize that with any other non-OOMA product, including the OBi110, that my existing OOMA number will not work and that's okay with me.  I'm not looking for IT to work since I have a Google Voice phone number that may work as I hope it will with an OBi110.  But that remains to be seen since I am waiting for Amazon to ship my new purchase.

I hope that I have clearly described my inquiry.  If not, I will do my best to clarify as required.

Oh, and on a related note... I read something about the OBi110 with Google Voice calls being free until 2012.  Does this mean that beginning January 1, 2012 (a bit less than 3 months from today), that when an OBi110 is configured with Google Voice that calls within the U.S. will no longer free?  I could not find a definitive explanation and that's why I ask. 

Thanks!

CurlySue  :o)

RonR

With an OBi plus Google Voice, you will be able to make and receive calls to others as if you had regular telephone service.  Others won't need an OBi or Google Voice to comminicate with you.  You will need a broadband Internet connection to use with the OBi (as you did your Ooma) and you won't have 911 service, but other than that, it's pretty transparent.

Stewart

You will have no problem receiving calls from anyone who dials your Google Voice number.

Even before you get your OBi, you can do that right from Gmail.

In Gmail, in the Chat section on the left, you will see a "Call phone" link.  From there, you can make a free call using your GV account to any US or Canada number.  Once you've done that, in Google Voice, go into Voice Settings and on the Phones tab, check the Google chat button.  Now, if someone calls your GV number, it will ring in Gmail and you can answer and talk.

Of course, you will need a mic to talk.  If your computer doesn't have one built in, and you don't have a headset or mic, you can use earphones from an MP3 player (or even an old Walkman) as a makeshift mic.  Plug them into the mic jack on your computer and speak into the left earpiece.

Now, when you get your OBi set up, the calls will ring to your regular phone.

QBZappy

Quote from: curlysue on October 15, 2011, 10:08:11 AM
Oh, and on a related note... I read something about the OBi110 with Google Voice calls being free until 2012.  Does this mean that beginning January 1, 2012 (a bit less than 3 months from today), that when an OBi110 is configured with Google Voice that calls within the U.S. will no longer free?  I could not find a definitive explanation and that's why I ask. 

No one knows yet if the free GV service will be extended beyond that date.

By the way, if you want to keep your old Ooma tel number, I think you can port that number to GV for a small fee.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

curlysue

RonR, Stewart, and QBZappy, thank you all for your support and SUPER FAST replies!   ;D

I am HAPPY to hear that the OBi110 will work with Google Voice to receiving incoming calls as I had hoped. 

Thank you, QBZappy, for helping me to better understand the 2012 Google Voice issue.  Hopefully, for all, this free service will be extended into 2012 and beyond.

With kindest regards,

CurlySue  :)