News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trying to register OBi504 SP service to Zultys

Started by NetworkManagementServices, July 01, 2020, 05:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NetworkManagementServices

Hello,

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post, as I am new to the forums. I have just purchased the OBi504 device for a client in hopes of configuring it to register to our cloud hosted Zultys phone system. I intend to use the FXS and audio jacks to connect a couple of analog devices and allow them to work with our phone system.

The documentation is not quite clear on how I go about configuring this. I've referred to some of the articles on these forums that talk about doing this with OBi110 devices, but those suggestions did not work.

The SP1 service just keeps saying "Register Failed: No Response From Server". IP address of that server is correct, so I'm not sure where to go.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

drgeoff

The main thrust of all those instructions on OBi110 with an IP PBX is to use the FXO port on the 110 to enable the PBX to make and receive calls over a POTS line.  That is irrelevant to your needs.

Can you reach the OBi echo test and hear "Welcome to Obitalk ..." when you dial **9 222 222 222 from an analogue phone plugged in to one of the phone ports of the 504?  If not, the 504 cannot reach the internet and you need first to sort out that network problem.

If the Zultys is using standard SIP you should have as minimum 3 pieces of info.  The SIP proxy, the AuthID and the AuthPassword.  Typically those are the only 3 entries that you need to configure on an OBi to get it to register.

How are you configuring the 504?  Do you know and understand the difference between:

1.  Using the 504's on-board web server.

2.  Using the Dashboard at obitalk.com.

3.  Using Expert Mode at obitalk.com.

If this is an environment with firewalls or proxy servers between the internal LAN the 504 is on and the WAN?

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I have configured the SIP server/proxy settings and the SP1 Service does show it is trying to register with that server by its IP address. The echo test passed when I connected my buttset to FXS1.

Your comment about the AuthID/AuthPassword reminded me that I followed the recommendation on one of those other forum discussions to use the extension and extension password for those pieces of information, but normally for Zultys we use the device ID and password (different pieces of information for Zultys because extensions are tied to users instead of devices).

Once I swapped the AuthID from extension to device ID and AuthPassword accordingly it registered.

As a sidenote on the off chance someone else using Zultys finds these forums, I did go through the 504's web UI to configure it. All server settings needed to be configured by IP instead of hostname, which hung me up initially as well. Using the dashboard for this device was not supported without being a partner with Polycom because it required some kind of authorization according to Polycom phone support. I'm guessing that is what you meant by Expert Mode?

Anyway thanks for that quick response.

drgeoff

Quote from: NetworkManagementServices on July 02, 2020, 07:34:38 AM
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I have configured the SIP server/proxy settings and the SP1 Service does show it is trying to register with that server by its IP address. The echo test passed when I connected my buttset to FXS1.

Your comment about the AuthID/AuthPassword reminded me that I followed the recommendation on one of those other forum discussions to use the extension and extension password for those pieces of information, but normally for Zultys we use the device ID and password (different pieces of information for Zultys because extensions are tied to users instead of devices).

Once I swapped the AuthID from extension to device ID and AuthPassword accordingly it registered.

As a sidenote on the off chance someone else using Zultys finds these forums, I did go through the 504's web UI to configure it. All server settings needed to be configured by IP instead of hostname, which hung me up initially as well. Using the dashboard for this device was not supported without being a partner with Polycom because it required some kind of authorization according to Polycom phone support. I'm guessing that is what you meant by Expert Mode?

Anyway thanks for that quick response.

Any registration config that can be done through the onboard UI can equally well be done through the obitalk portal.  In many ways that is preferable as it gives remote access  - no need to visit your client's premises to make any changes.

Yea, I get that the portal is desirable, I just couldn't add my device to the portal without some kind of agreement with Obi/Polycom. Apparently it requires additional service for me to have authorization to add it to that portal. I was able to connect to the UI via IP address, so I can still do it remotely.

On another subject, I've been able to get the SP1 profile to ring through to phone port 1 for calls to the extension just fine, but I can't get it to automatically pick up the audio out (ao) port so it automatically activates speakers. Ideally what would happen with this device is that when it is dialed it immediately picks up the Audio Out and activates the PA for paging. Is this possible? The manual suggests it should be, but it looks like it is forcing me to dial additional input to activate it (e.g. extension 100).

drgeoff

Quote from: NetworkManagementServices on July 02, 2020, 02:28:55 PM
I just couldn't add my device to the portal without some kind of agreement with Obi/Polycom.
I think that is not true but if you are happy.

drgeoff

On another subject, I've been able to get the SP1 profile to ring through to phone port 1 for calls to the extension just fine, but I can't get it to automatically pick up the audio out (ao) port so it automatically activates speakers. Ideally what would happen with this device is that when it is dialed it immediately picks up the Audio Out and activates the PA for paging. Is this possible? The manual suggests it should be, but it looks like it is forcing me to dial additional input to activate it (e.g. extension 100).
I don't have a 504 and have never used the paging facility on any OBi.  All I know is on page 32 of https://support.polycom.com/content/dam/polycom-support/products/voice/voip-adapters/user/en/poly-obi-3-5-series-ata-ag.pdf.

Have you tried putting just ao as the InboundCallRoute for that SP?

Quote from: drgeoff on July 02, 2020, 03:19:15 PM
I just couldn't add my device to the portal without some kind of agreement with Obi/Polycom.

I called Obi/Polycom support to ask why I couldn't add my device and they told basically that I couldn't without an agreement. Maybe I got a tech that wasn't interested in helping.

Quote from: drgeoff on July 02, 2020, 03:42:21 PM
I don't have a 504 and have never used the paging facility on any OBi.  All I know is on page 32 of https://support.polycom.com/content/dam/polycom-support/products/voice/voip-adapters/user/en/poly-obi-3-5-series-ata-ag.pdf.

Yes, I tried ao, {ao}, and other variations of actually dialing something to reach ao. It seemed like it picked up the line, but I couldn't get audio to output on the speakers. I was going to try with different speakers in case my PC speakers just aren't designed to work with it.

drgeoff

Quote from: NetworkManagementServices on July 02, 2020, 04:04:21 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on July 02, 2020, 03:19:15 PM

I called Obi/Polycom support to ask why I couldn't add my device and they told basically that I couldn't without an agreement. Maybe I got a tech that wasn't interested in helping.
Fortunately I've never had to call upon OBi support but there have been many examples reported on these forums that demonstrated sub par peformance.

drgeoff

Quote from: NetworkManagementServices on July 02, 2020, 04:05:37 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on July 02, 2020, 03:42:21 PM

Yes, I tried ao, {ao}, and other variations of actually dialing something to reach ao. It seemed like it picked up the line, but I couldn't get audio to output on the speakers. I was going to try with different speakers in case my PC speakers just aren't designed to work with it.
The text at the top of page 49 mentions the loop-through from the Audio In socket.  Use a standard 3.5 mm TRS plug to 3.5mm TRS plug cable to connect an MP3 player or smartphone and see if audio comes out of your speakers.

So I am not sure what happened, but after testing different configurations, confirming that calls to the device successfully route out FXS1 with the ph value in the InboundCallRoute field of the SP, and then reconnecting my speakers it is now working (for now).

Setting the value to ao was the solution. Not sure why it wasn't working before unless there is just a sequence to enabling the configuration and connecting the hardware, because I definitely tried the exact setup that is now working.

Thank you very much for the responses.