News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Question about SIP-style calls

Started by JaskHill, July 05, 2020, 06:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaskHill

Hi, I have a question about SIP-style calls.

It seems that all those VOIP service providers, like Anveo, Callcentric, and voip.ms, etc, never clearly mention whether they support free incoming SIP calls and/or outgoing SIP calls, even they support SIP-protocol account registration from a device like OBI-200.

In these service providers' web sites, they heavily advertise calling rates to plain old telephone numbers. But SIP-style calling is never mentioned.

So can I assume that, by default, they do NOT support free incoming SIP calls and outgoing SIP calls (because it does not generate a single cent of revenue)?

azrobert

Get a free Callcentric IP Freedom account here:
https://www.callcentric.com/rate/plans/ip_freedom/

Register your OBi to Callcentric.
You can now receive SIP calls at 1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com
1777xxxxxxx is your Callcentric UserID.

You can use OBi speed dials to make outbound SIP calls.
Example: spx(user@somewhere.com)
spx is the SP number where you defined Callcentric.

You can also use Callcentric speed dials under Phone Book to make outbound SIP calls, but you will need special routing in your OBi for speed dial numbers 75xx.

SeanTek

Voip.ms also supports unlimited free SIP calling. However, the routing is different than Callcentric.

I am working on it now and just have started to figure this stuff out this week.  ???

Incoming calls

With Voip.ms, you can receive calls at @sip.voip.ms or at your POP server, such as @newyork1.voip.ms.

As for what goes on the left-hand side:
If you have a DID, such as 2121234567, you can put the DID without the country code on the left-hand side, such as 2121234567@sip.voip.ms or 2121234567@newyork1.voip.ms. The call will route as you specify in Edit DID Settings. For example, you can set up a Ring Group and ring all the different sub-account phones on your premises.

I am trying to see if there is a way to create a SIP-only address, without needing to buy a DID. I do not know if you can do that or not yet.

You can call a particular sub-account (i.e., SIP phone registration) with your SIP/IAX Main Username plus the two-digit customized extension number, but only at your POP server. So, if your main username is 654321 and your phone's extension is 23, you must do 65432123@newyork1.voip.ms. You cannot do @sip.voip.ms; it will not work. Call routing appears to be a feature of DIDs only; if you call sip:65432123@newyork1.voip.ms, it will ring only that device.

Outgoing calls

I am still researching this.

Codecs

In all cases, it seems that Voip.ms interposes the codecs that you check in the Advanced > Allowed Codecs section. Currently Voip.ms supports "G.711u", "G.729a", "G.722 BETA", and "gsm". Despite how hard I have tried, there appears to be no way to let calls through Voip.ms use Opus (or other codecs, for that matter).

ratketyree

Join Callcentric with your OBi.
Your new SIP address, 1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com, is ready to accept calls.
It looks like your Callcentric UserID is.

To make an outgoing SIP call, you can use the OBi speed dials.
Suffix: spx(user@somewhere.com)
Callcentric was defined in SP at index spx.

It is possible to conduct outbound SIP calls using the Callcentric speed dials found in the Phone Book; however, the speed dial numbers 75xx will require customized routing in your OBi.

drgeoff