News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is OBiEHS required for Obi2162 (with Plantronics CS540 and APS-11)

Started by jonsie, July 08, 2020, 07:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonsie

Amazon listing indicates that it is required for Obi 1xxx line, but says nothing about 2xxx. I assume it is still required for newer devices including the 2162? Any helps is much appreciated!

SteveInWA

Yes, it is still required, exactly the same way it is used on the 1000 series.  You actually need two different cables, making it an expensive proposition:  you need the OBiEHS cable, which then plugs into a headset-specific EHS cable from Plantronics.  You can go to the Plantronics (now Poly) website to find the correct EHS cable for your headset.

jonsie

Thanks! That's what I thought. Ended up ordering the cables APS-11 and OBiEHS. Definitely more expensive than I was anticipating but I work remotely and badly need a better setup.

SteveInWA

Yeah, the prices are in the BMW/Mercedes Benz part price range - precious.

You'll need to go to the OBiTALK portal, click on your phone and get into "Expert configuration mode".  Go to User Settings-->User Preferences.  Scroll down and find the EHS section.  Remember, to edit any parameters, you need to un-check both boxes to the right of that parameter.  Change EhsEnable to Plantronics.  I have a Jabra, not a Plantronics, so my volume/gain settings may differ from yours, but I'm including a screenshot to give you a start.  Note that the settings are confusing, because there are separate volume/gain settings for the RJ-9 headset, the USB-attached headset, the built-in handset, and the Bluetooth headset.  You can also set it to prefer the headset when pressing the call button on the phone while it is on-hook (otherwise, it defaults to the phone's speaker).

jonsie

That is incredibly helpful. Thanks so much - I'm new to Obi phones and wouldn't have known that I needed to perform any configuration. A huge thanks!

SteveInWA

Sure - my pleasure.  Since you mentioned being so new at this, I'll state what is obvious to me, but maybe not to you:  always scroll down and click the "Submit" button after making changes.  Your phone will be remotely rebooted (in most cases), so give it a few minutes.