News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi2182 does not actually support AMR-WB or G.722.1

Started by SeanTek, July 13, 2020, 01:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanTek

I have been playing with a new Obi2182 running software version 6.2.3 (Build: 4946.1311).

Much to my dismay, this product does not actually seem to support AMR-WB or G.722.1. Under the Codec Profile settings, AMR-WB (aka G.722.2) and G.722.1 do not appear anywhere. Nor do AMR-WB or G.722.1 appear in the rest of the Obi2000 series: I tested Obi2162 and Obi2062 running software version 6.2.3 (Build: 4907.1311). In fact, the codec suite looks pretty much the same as the Obi1000 series.

Can others confirm?

Unless there is some imminent firmware update, the datasheet on poly.com is incorrect.

WelshPaul

There is a later firmware revision (6.2.3 (Build: 4983)) so try updating the phones firmware.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

SeanTek

Where/how do I get the build 4983 firmware? I do not see it posted publicly anywhere.

WelshPaul

Tried asking OBIHAI? I don't have a direct link to hand.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

SteveInWA

Much to my dismay, this product does not actually seem to support AMR-WB or G.722.1

You are the only person who has ever expressed any interest whatsoever on those CODECs.  I can't fathom any reason to be "dismayed" about it.  As we discussed over a year ago, fixed VoIP implementations aren't using adaptive multi-rate G722.x CODECs; they are mainly being used for mobile calls.  Opus is the wideband CODEC of choice for fixed VoIP.  One major example of standardization on Opus is the WebRTC platform built into Google Chrome and Firefox browsers.  This enables easy implementation of wideband calling at the application layer, and it's what Google Voice's website uses.

Aside from that, those two G.722.x CODECs are now (well, as of 2014) superseded by the Enhanced Voice Services (EVS) CODEC.  I doubt that anything other than Opus will be added to Poly phones in the near term, regardless of what their spec sheet says.  Contact Poly yourself for further questions on their CODEC support.

I suggest you do some web searching to learn more on this topic.