News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 - Add Device is failing

Started by wuerger00, July 18, 2020, 05:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wuerger00

I just unboxed by OBI202 and am trying to get it up and running. I have plugged it in and I know it is getting an IP address, because I can see the OBI on my router. However, it is failing to add on my OBI dashboard. When I dial * * 9 222 222 222, I get a message that "there is no service". I am also unable to access the admin web page of my obi202 "URL not found".

My router is an Eero, so I started adding the ports for TCP & UDP, but this is not helping either.

Is my OBI defective?

drgeoff

Quote from: wuerger00 on July 18, 2020, 05:10:28 AM
I just unboxed by OBI202 and am trying to get it up and running. I have plugged it in and I know it is getting an IP address, because I can see the OBI on my router. However, it is failing to add on my OBI dashboard. When I dial * * 9 222 222 222, I get a message that "there is no service". I am also unable to access the admin web page of my obi202 "URL not found".

My router is an Eero, so I started adding the ports for TCP & UDP, but this is not helping either.

Is my OBI defective?
As of a few seconds ago the **9 222 222 222 echo test number was working for me.

Check that you have connected the INTERNET port (not the LAN port) of the OBi202 to your router.

If you have connected the 202's INTERNET port to your router it is normal that you cannot reach the onboard web server GUI. See the bottom of page 30 of https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf for how to enable access.  (Or use the 31 option on the next page to change the 202 from router mode to bridge mode.)

It is very rarely necessary to mess with ports in home routers.  "port opening" is not the same as "port forwarding" and anyway most of the ports that Obihai mention are outbound and I've yet to encounter a home router running stock firmware that has user controls for outbound.

eraserhed

I was unable to add my OBi202 to my dashboard even though I could successfully connect to the OBiTALK test number **9 222 222 222.  I tried all of the solutions here but still the **5 process would time out every time.  What finally worked for me was to change the 'OperationMode' parameter from 'Router' to 'Bridge' under 'Router Configuration > LAN Settings'.  Hopes this helps someone else and saves them some time.

drgeoff

Quote from: eraserhed on January 09, 2021, 09:51:13 AM
I was unable to add my OBi202 to my dashboard even though I could successfully connect to the OBiTALK test number **9 222 222 222.  I tried all of the solutions here but still the **5 process would time out every time.  What finally worked for me was to change the 'OperationMode' parameter from 'Router' to 'Bridge' under 'Router Configuration > LAN Settings'.  Hopes this helps someone else and saves them some time.
Nope, just coincidence.  Changing to bridge mode has no impact on the problem with the Obihai server which has been flakey for months.

If you truly believe that your change is a real fix you'll have no hesitation in repeating the following a few times.  Remove your Obi202 from your dashboard and try to add it back again.  Is it succeeding every time on the first attempt?

sp508

This solution worked for me as well twice!!!

LogHome

Quote from: sp508 on April 08, 2021, 01:08:24 PM

This solution worked for me as well twice!!!

Are these setting under the Obi's IP or the router it's self?

drgeoff

Nothing to lose by trying it but OBi200 does not have this option and there has been no indication of a different registration failure rate between 200s and 202s.

N7AS

It seems that the Obitalk portal is down, so no one can add devices for now.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

drgeoff

Obitalk.com is back up after more than 24 hours of "upgrade" work. Let's see how many of the ills of the portal and the forum it has cured.

jimbannon

I'm unable to add devices for now.

LogHome

Quote from: N7AS on April 10, 2021, 01:07:51 PM
It seems that the Obitalk portal is down, so no one can add devices for now.

Even when it's up.....................fuggedaboutit  :o

myobinameisinuse9987

Rock solid (so far) procedure to add device.

Take pic of back of device for the 123 456 789 OBi number
1. Connect device to network with DHCP
2. Connect phone (unless it is a phone)
3. Dial **9 222 222 222 to confirm it is functional
4. Dial ***6 to check for update (never does, but seems to "help")
5. Login via web interface (***1 to get ip address) Use default admin login
6. Should be reboot button on top right of page. Use it.

7. Login to OBiTalk, Add device, (uncheck google voice if not using it), enter the **5 1234 (4-digit code it assigns at the time) on the attached phone (or handset if an OBi phone). Wait 20 secs. If OBiTalk doesn't respond, proceed to #8
8. Enter **5 1234 again. Wait 30 secs. If OBiTalk doesn't respond, proceed to #9
9. Try **5 1234 one more time. If OBiTalk doesn't respond, proceed to #10

10. Cancel in OBiTalk. Remove power from OBi device, wait 20 secs. Reapply power, wait 45 secs. Return to #7 above.

Don't forget to click CONFIRM on OBiTalk.com page once the device is added.

Watch the spinning webpage "loading" indicator in your browser to know OBiTalk is doing "something"- site doesn't really provide any indicator that it is working on something.

If necessary, you can press the factory reset button on back of many OBi devices for 20-30 secs until the lights turn red, then wait for it to boot up completely. We've had to do that ONCE.

Why? Glad you asked.

It appears there is some stub of software or firmware load the doesn't clear on reboot. Changing IP addresses is a major issue. Change it, seems to work, but 'not really or fully' without a power cycle.

A lot of rig-a-ma-roll? Yep. But at this point we've given up on the "click add, dial number, live long and prosper" version. We just do this. Extra few mins per device and frustration levels plummet. ;)

Hopefully you have the same good luck as we do now.

PS- Can't get that SPx to be "Registered" ?? Delete whatever is on it and try again. Re-enter the SIP password EVERY TIME.

PPS- Getting UNAUTHORIZED when adding Anveo SIP number to multiple devices? The OBiTALK SPECIAL ANVEO account...only allows ONE device to use SIP and number at a time. I recommended they add this info to the page, but now you know.