News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to connect to an OnSIP account?

Started by JaskHill, July 18, 2020, 07:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaskHill

Hi, does anyone here know how to connect to an OnSIP SIP account (  http://www.onsip.com  ), using OBi-200 ?

This company introduced a sub-domain concept, which suddenly makes all the things unnecessarily complicated.  Their non-standard set-up is definitely not helping either.

( By luck ) I can connect to it using the Counterpath Bria softphone application.  But I have never figured out how to do it in OBi-200.

Let's say my sub-domain is "abc", and my user ID is "xyz".  So in Bria, the set-up would be:
        User ID:                      xyz
        Domain:                      abc.onsip.com
        Authorization name:  abc

But I just cannot figure out how to do it in OBi-200.

drgeoff

Is the use of the sub-domain optional or compulsory?  I've had an OnSIP account registered on my FreePBX server for ages.  I just checked and it is still showing as connected.  Nor have I had any notification from OnSIP that I need to change anything.

JaskHill

Sub-domain is mandatory, when you try to register a free SIP account at the OnSIP web site.  You must specify a sub-domain name. Otherwise the web page will not let you proceed.

Also softphone apps or FreePBX may have no trouble connecting to OnSIP.  It is just that those OBi boxes refuse to connect.

JaskHill

I managed to capture the OnSIP account SIP regstration network fraffic from a softphone app - CounterPath Bria.

I also entered the supposedly correct data for such OnSIP account into OBI-200, and managed to capture the network traffic therefrom.

When comparing these two traffic, I found they are vastly different from each other, both in format and in content.

Yet CounterPath Bria can register, and OBI-200 can't.

Very strange!

I suppose the OnSIP server expects one and only one standard-format incoming SIP-regression request data.  Is CounterPath Bria not following standard SIP registration protocol, or is OBI-200 not following standard SIP registration protocol?

I tried to reverse-engineer Bria's network traffic, extract some data from it, and enter them into the seemingly right fields in OBI-200. But OBI-200 still can't register.

This OnSIP company is really a strange company, behaving very odd, comparing to other major free SIP-account providers who all adhere to standard SIP protocol.

azrobert

I had a GetOnSIP account and it required the following:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile X SIP -> X_DnsSrvAutoPrefix: Checked