News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI 202 with Google Voice and Fiber Optics Suggestions/Tips

Started by Mn_Dan, July 21, 2020, 11:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mn_Dan

Getting new fiber optic high speed internet to my home with a new ISP router that will offer me constant 300 MBPS speeds for both up and downloads.  The router will offer me multiple wired connections so my OBI202 will have a much higher connection (and hopefully better service with the consistent speeds).  Does anyone have any suggestions/tips that you can offer on either the ISP router settings or changes I could make on the OBI configuration that would help me better utilize the upgrade?  Thanks in advance for your help.

drgeoff

Quote from: Mn_Dan on July 21, 2020, 11:15:54 AM
Getting new fiber optic high speed internet to my home with a new ISP router that will offer me constant 300 MBPS speeds for both up and downloads.  The router will offer me multiple wired connections so my OBI202 will have a much higher connection (and hopefully better service with the consistent speeds).  Does anyone have any suggestions/tips that you can offer on either the ISP router settings or changes I could make on the OBI configuration that would help me better utilize the upgrade?  Thanks in advance for your help.
Unless the previous internet connection gave you speeds less than about 5 Mbit/s you are unlikely to find that the faster 300 Mbit/s speed per se brings any change to your IP telephony experience.  However, error rate and dropouts may be better on fibre.

There are no configuration changes on your OBi that can better utilise improved network performance.

Sheffield_Steve

Don't use it a router for other things on your network.  i.e. Don't plug anything into the LAN connection.

Mn_Dan

Thanks so much for you help.  We have been having issues with our existing cable ISP since the COVID crisis began and more people are working from home.  The speed tests have been very erratic and at times we have been losing calls or seeing big drops in call quality.  Hopefully this will put things back to normal.