News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problem with Line Caller ID being picked up

Started by verber, October 17, 2011, 10:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verber

Line calls are not showing caller id.  The Obi is not showing anything for peer name or peer number in call history.  If I power off the Obi and the calls go directly to my phone, caller ID is correctly displayed.  All values are set to the defaults. Any suggestions?  Oh, and wiring is fairly simple.  There is a single jack in the house (everything is has been disconnected), splitter for DSL, and then a cable strait to the Obi.

Thanks,
Mark

OBiSupport

The LINE port settings may need to be adjusted for your environment / location.

Please describe your set-up / location.
1.  In what country is the OBi?
2.  What PSTN Service Provider (Analog LINE service) is being used?

support@obihai.com

verber

1. Country: USA
2. Service Provider: ATT (aka PacBell).  My memory is that the central office is a 5ESS.  I am around 7kft from the CO

verber

infin8loop

Login to the OBi at the ip address returned by dialing ***1 on the phone.  

Navigate to Physical Interfaces --> LINE Port --> RingDelay setting.  The default is 4000 (in ms = 4 seconds).

If you hover over the ? it will describe what this value does.  

I have AT&T. Some time ago, I adjusted this value down to 2000 to reduce the delay to ring on the cordless phone attached to the OBi. The AT&T house line has a corded phone attached in a different room and it was annoying to hear it ring and have to wait so long for the cordless to ring.  2000 was too little because then I lost callerid in the log and on the cordless phone.   I adjusted it back up to 2500 and the callerid worked again.  I don't know if you've changed this setting up or down. If not, maybe the 4000 value is too small and you need to adjust it up a bit.  I'd try 500 increments (1/2 second) and see if you ever get callerid.  How you update it is up to you.  Locally or through OBiTalk portal.  If you adjust locally, then you must set System Management --> Auto Provisioning --> OBiTalk Provisioning --> Method = Disabled or the OBiTalk portal will overlay your saved setting.  You also must click the Submit Button at the bottom of all screens where values have been changed. And finally Reboot to apply the changes to the OBi.

This may not be even be the issue but it's worth a shot if you don't get some assistance elsewhere.  Good luck.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

verber

infinsloop... thanks for the suggestion.  I had checked through the forum before posting and saw the suggestions about playing with ring delay.  The unit had the default already set 4000ms so that wasn't it.

Yesterday evening  OBisupport did some remote debugging and called my landline.  They got caller id.  I called from the lines that were not displaying caller id and they were showing up as well.  What changed?  Nothing that I know, but it's working now.

infin8loop

Does anyone know if when OBi Support performs "remote debugging" and things suddenly start to work.. if they are remotely tweaking values in the OBi unit configuration and just not mentioning it?  Debugging in and of itself usually means the diagnoses of a problem leading to some sort of fix being applied --whether it be code change or configuration change or simply rebooting because, well, nothing else has worked and that usually fixes the problem.  Many years ago as a junior programmer I was looking at a dump and couldn't figure out why things were "scrambled".  The code (not mine) looked solid.  Someone mentioned "solar flares" could scramble computer memory.  I reran the job making no changes and it ran ok. Sure, must have been a solar flare (eye roll).  Another time it turned out that operations had loaded the input data that was on punched cards into the card reader upside and backwards causing all the input edits to fail and everything rejected. In this case, perhaps the little gerbils inside the OBi responsible for delivering callerid were on a coffee break when it wasn't working. 
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher