News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

"...has not received a response from the server"

Started by Brenduh, August 19, 2020, 09:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brenduh

Hello,
I have had the Obi200 for a couple of years now.  About 2 months ago it stopped making calls.  I get the error "The number you have dialed, ***-***-**** has not received a response from the server.  I have tried replacing the cords and I have went through the instructions I found in the forums by someone named Steve.  I've done this a few times.  Still same result.  I can call any number to work on the obi (like ***8) and it works, but nothing is getting out.  I don't use this line for incoming calls so I don't know if that works.  On the dashboard, next to google it says: Connect Failed: No Response.  Would buying a new OBi fix this or is this something to do with my google voice.  I did try making a phone call using my computer and google voice and that did work.  That is all tech support suggested.  I appreciate any information you could give me.
Thanks,
Brenda

drgeoff

Dial **9 222 222 222. Is the call answered with "Welcome to Obitalk and ..."?

Brenduh

Thank you for your response.  Yes, it did work.  I received the message that it was a test call and then I could hear myself echo.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Brenduh on August 19, 2020, 06:26:46 PM
I don't use this line for incoming calls so I don't know if that works.

I assume you are using Google Voice.  If so, the first place to start troubleshooting is to unplug your OBi device, use a desktop or laptop computer running Google Chrome Browser or Firefox, sign into the correct Gmail account that hosts your Google Voice number, and go here:

https://voice.google.com/settings

Do you see a Google Voice phone number at the top of the page?  If not, then either this is the wrong Gmail account, or you don't have a Google Voice phone number.  You can no longer make outbound calls without also having an inbound Google Voice phone number.

If you believe you do have a number, then enter it on this page:

https://www.google.com/voice/account/recovery

The tool will respond with one of two statements:

If it tells you that it's not a Google Voice number, then there's your answer.  Get a number
If it tells you that it sent an email note to you at some redacted email address, like t*******@g*******
then it's up to you to go find that note, so you can identify the correct email address.

If you find the email note, then go back to the main Google Voice Calls page on your browser, confirm that you do see the number, then call it from some other phone number.  Does it ring in your browser?

Brenduh

Yes, the google account and the google voice number are both correct and working.  I have had the google voice number for many many years and I use it on my iphone on a daily basis for text messaging and getting voice messages. 

I followed your instructions and yes it sent me an email to the proper email address, verifying that that phone number and email address were associated.

I called the phone number from another line and it did ring on the google voice page.  Thank you for your instructions, I look forward to hearing from you again. 
Brenda
PS I have been using this as a fax line sending payroll checks every two weeks for the last two years using that obi box and that google voice number.  Nothing has changed, the computer, the fax or the internet service in that time.  I hope this information helps.

SteveInWA

OK, that is a very good sign, since it means there is nothing wrong with your Google Voice service.

There is no consistent root cause for that error message if the OBiTALK test passes, so about all you can do is a "shotgun" fix of restoring the OBi device to factory defaults and starting over.  You should also ensure that it is running firmware level 3-2-2-5921EX or newer.  After performing the steps below, pick up the phone and key in ***0 then 1# to hear the firmware level.

See my instructions, here:  https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

Brenduh

My firmware number is the same..  I have followed those instructions you sent me to several times, those were the ones tech support sent me to.  Everything is still the same.  There is one difference in the steps though.  Under Third Party in google, Obi has never been listed.
Brenda

Edit: Under advanced configuration it says this:  Connect Failed: No Response (server=216.239.36.144; retry in 59s).  I don't know if that is helpful.
Brenda

SteveInWA

So, your device is not getting back a response from the Google server.  Would it be possible to take your device to some other location (friend/relative, etc.) and try it there?

Are you located in the USA and not using a VPN?  If your network is going through a VPN, then disable it and try again.

Brenduh

I'm sorry, there is nowhere else I can try it.  I live in the mountains and neighbors are far away.  I'm physically disabled in a wheelchair so I require transportation.  It just isn't feasible.    I am pretty good with computers.   I do accessibility training for the blind.  Is there something I could do in the router to make it work?  I just looked and I purchased it in 2016 and it has been working since then until about 3 months ago.  Could it just be a bad box?  I was looking to buy another but seems they are hard to find new.

SteveInWA

Hmm, I see.

It's very odd that it just started failing "out of the blue".  Have you replaced or upgraded your Internet router or ISP service recently?

Just to confirm:  you can both make outbound calls and receive inbound calls using the Google Voice desktop browser user interface (https://voice.google.com/u/0/calls), correct?

Brenduh

Yes the google voice does work. I tried it again and it still does.  It just stopped out of the blue.  One day I was sending the biweekly fax and heard the tones so I picked up the phone and got that original message I told you about.  Nothing has changed. Same router, fax, and phone.  I haven't even moved them, until I followed the steps to unplug it and plug it back in.

SteveInWA

Please take a look at the private message I'm sending you now.  (click "MY MESSAGES" in the forum menu bar).

SteveInWA

Brenda:  I'm checking to see if you got my private message.  This forum software is really outdated and buggy, and it tells me that it failed to send it, but it shows up as sent anyhow.

Taoman

Pretty sure it isn't working, Steve. I've sent both you and azrobert a PM in the last couple of months with no response. I also get the error message when sending and it shows up in my out box. But it doesn't actually get sent.

drgeoff

I haven't sent any messages recently but I looked just now to see when I last received some. I was surprised to see 22 June 2020 and 27 August 2020 as the last two as I had not realised they were there. There had been no number after the "My messages" link in the forum.

SteveInWA

Weird:  I did receive Brenda's private message, but like Geoff posted, no message waiting indicator on "MY MESSAGES".  Thanks, guys.

Brenduh

I did receive it... 3 times.  I replied to one of them but I don't know which one so I'm not deleting any of them.
Brenda

SteveInWA

I received your reply, and I replied to it, so check your private message inbox again.

Eva_Muller