News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 Suddenly stopped working

Started by PitoSa, August 20, 2020, 01:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PitoSa

My Obi200 has stopped working. I have followed instructions for a factory reset (with the paperclip). I have power cycled it and the network router numerous times. I've deleted it from the Obitalk control panel.

I do get a dial tone. But when I call any number, including especially **5 1614 I get the usual ma-bell boo-bee-beep error tone and then "network error - IP address not available" or words to that effect.

Anyone know what's going on?

drgeoff

Quote from: PitoSa on August 20, 2020, 01:41:56 PM
My Obi200 has stopped working. I have followed instructions for a factory reset (with the paperclip). I have power cycled it and the network router numerous times. I've deleted it from the Obitalk control panel.

I do get a dial tone. But when I call any number, including especially **5 1614 I get the usual ma-bell boo-bee-beep error tone and then "network error - IP address not available" or words to that effect.

Anyone know what's going on?
What is the power LED (the leftmost one) doing?

Dial ***1 and report here what the response is.

Most likely your OBi is not connected to your router.  Try another ethernet cable.

JoeD123

I have the same problem. After working for years, my OBi 200 no longer gets an IP address. Nothing has changed — no router change, no ethernet cable change. Any suggestions?

drgeoff

Quote from: JoeD123 on September 07, 2020, 03:47:37 PM
I have the same problem. After working for years, my OBi 200 no longer gets an IP address. Nothing has changed — no router change, no ethernet cable change. Any suggestions?
What troubleshooting steps have you already taken?  Rebooted router, waited 2 minutes and rebooted OBi? Tried another ethernet cable? Tried another LAN port on the router?

StevenTN

I noticed my OBi200 stopped working on Dec 24, 2021 while I was away. It is on the latest firmware. When I got home to troubleshoot I saw I had the flashing green power light, no IP available.  Tried a different ethernet cable, tried a different port on the modem, tried a different power supply, even did a factory reset. Nothing works. Plugged my old OBi110 in using the same ethernet cable, port, and power supply and it works. Tried using the phone menu (***4) to force an IP but it doesn't stick. I'm guessing it is fried somehow. Very ironic it decides to bite the big one just around the EOL announcement. Any other suggestions for how to possibly fix would be appreciated.

My 110 is working fine for getting forwarded calls from Google Voice to Callcentric, but I can no longer dial out on my home phone using Google Voice since the 110 doesn't work with GV.  :(

kirk

Yep, same here, just quit on my, error code is no IP address.  It's a fairly new device, I think they nixed it on purpose. What in god's name are they going to sell us next and how much?

But at the same time I am still grateful for this service even though come to think of it lately it rarely dials out without errors and I have to resort to my cell to make local calls. 

Started way back in 2012 and it was a lifesaver for a long, long time.

I guess either obi or google is (likely google) is going after the free stuff to make it obsolete?

dircom

Don't believe anyone killed your device on purpose.  You should do some troubleshooting.  Check ethernet cable, try another power supply etc etc. Things break - for example my 8 year old gigabit switch quit working.  Why?  shouldn't it last forever? :)

PDX_Mark

sounds to me like the Ethernet interface died.

Any recent thunderstorms or power issues?

I  once saw a thunderstorm take out an entire network in a home, Multifunction device , VoIP devices, Ethernet ports on computers, Wireless access point, etc.

If you have (coaxial) cable internet make sure the cable is grounded, to a GOOD ground like a copper ground rod!

If you have DSL make sure you have a Lightning suppressor on the line and that it is grounded, to a GOOD ground like a copper ground rod!

the above items are fundamental and people often assume that because the cable company or telephone company installed it, it must be good. telcos and cable companies  often ground to cold water pipe but that is not always good enough. But maybe they grounded it to a cold water pipe which worked 20 years ago, but when that pipe burst in your basement a few years ago the pipe was replaced with PVC or some other non-conductive material. Maybe the cold water pipe was just a poor ground to begin with.

The other thing might be that if something else on your LAN burned up it could also sed a surge down the ethernet line.

My point is look on your own front porch first